Skip to main content
index page

What is the worst thing that can happen when you are sued?

Submitted by on Sat, 05/20/2006 - 21:09
Credits:
[Donate]

I am being sued by citibank credit card. I live with my daughter and have no income, i have not been able to pay on this debt since oct2001, i am scared i have never had this happen to me. what is the worst thing will happen to me?

I too got sued by Citibank back in 2003--they cops served the papers to my mother during the day when I was at work. Boy, did I get alot of questions from her! I ended up filing backruptcy b/c I could afford the monthly payments even with consolidation of all my debts. I would get an attorney for advice, they shouldn't charge you for advice! If need be, hire him then, I know that may sound like alot of money, but my attorney cost me $700.00 to file bankruptcy, so your attorney just to make up a letter to Citibank or whatever shouldn't cost that much.

Submitted by brylvr on Sun, 05/21/2006 - 08:18

brylvr

( Posts: 31 | Credits: )

If you have no income to repay the debt I would definitely see if you could file bankruptcy. My bankruptcy was actually done by a paralegal and cost about 400 dollars total. Bankruptcy filing laws have changed recently so I don't know if that would still be an option.

If you don't want to try that,let me ask you this--do you get some kind of state or county support each month or child support? I am pretty sure they can't attach those types of funds. Maybe they can arrange some type of affordable payments for you. Have you talked with them and explained your financial situation?

Submitted by Lorri on Sun, 05/21/2006 - 11:02

Lorri

( Posts: 1721 | Credits: )

Blah. I hate reading things like this. I hope every credit card company that pays money for a law suit ends up losing that money AND The money owed to them because the victims have to file bankruptcy. Some companies are so willing to work with you - but others aren't. Don't you'd think they would be so they can at least get something every now and then? Creditors... blah.

Submitted by Ehwin on Mon, 05/22/2006 - 08:49

Ehwin

( Posts: 139 | Credits: )

i was sued by citi and got a warrant in debt. i settled out of court. the thing is, if you don't own property, if you don't have a job.....how would they collect it. the only way they can is if they garnish wages or if they attach a lien on property you owe. other than that you can't get blood from a stone

Submitted by on Thu, 09/28/2006 - 17:21

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

receive a phone call from a man named richard todd couldn't understand the company name said he was an investigator and he called on a friday and said if he didn't hear from me there would be a devalt judgement against me at 3 o'clock and gave me the case number I called my court house and they said there way no such case number now a sheriff came to my door today and i wasn't home have no idea who this company is or what I owe sheriff will probably be back tomorrow , have read many bad posting about richard todd what should I do( note he called on friday and said the case would be on monday live in pennsylvania)

Submitted by on Wed, 08/19/2009 - 21:28

answer the judgment with the courts send a copy to the attorney certified mail and wait. In the meantime start getting some money together to settle it out. If you cannot get the money together ask for a stipulation of judgment. This will allow you to make payments on the debt without the judgment being enforced. Hope that helped

Submitted by on Fri, 08/21/2009 - 15:13

what is the sol in illinois on credit card debt

Submitted by on Thu, 08/27/2009 - 09:09

I am being sued by HSBC for $2000. At first I was stressed but all the creditors do this as a reasurance via the court that debt will be paid. The suit is essentially telling the debtor "to poop or get off the pot". In my suit the creditor is willing to settle and put me on a payment plan the law suit just gives them recoarse if you fall behind or fail to make payments, it's a paper game.

Submitted by wchambe641 on Fri, 10/02/2009 - 06:52

wchambe641

( Posts: 129 | Credits: )

Hello...I am glad this info is here. I cannot believe this has happened.. someone wrote not to panic, because that is the desired effect, but believe me u panic when u get lawsuit papers and have no idea at first what you are even looking at! and one of the pages in big letters across the top reads: YOU ARE BEING SUED!
Anyway, i had lawsuit papers in my mailbox when i got home from work. it was sent certified mail, but nobody signed for it. i am assuming the mailman did this and left it i don't know. Anyway, I guess I am being sued by CHASE on one of my credit card accounts for the amt of 14k, plus the small legal documentation fee and some other fee which added about $60. Anyway, i NEVER thought this would happen. i have been pre-occupied with saving my house, ctching up on mortgage payments, partly done by taking some money from my 401k. anyway, i AM behind about 3 months on payments, during this time i was looking for a debt consolication or credit counseling agency and i did find one that i am contacting but i guess it's not fast enuf. I know i prob. should have talked with them, but i did not. But geez this seems really fast to jump into a lawsuit...i dont' think it even went to a collection agency. your info is helpful, and they included the "answer" page that i'd have to fill out to answer this suit. and one of my things i can do is to try and negotiate, and/or to get a lawyer, etc. If i want to do this i am supposed to contact them directly BUT if there is a lawyer named, to contact the law office. there is a lawyer..so i guess i should call there? I had ,. of course, planned to include this debt in whatever kind of plan that I come up with when i speak to the place I chose to help me....I have chosen Ontrack Financial Group...but now,,, i guess i HAVE to negotiate repayment with them separate from my other debt? For various reasons i have fallen behind, mainly due to husband getting ill, hosptialized for a few weeks, and we didn't get very much in disability payment...we were already struggling when this happened....Then a little bit after he got back to work, they let him go, and he's now collecting unemployment. So that started the spiral, and i just paid what i HAD to, utilities, etc.... and the mortgage was 3 months behind, so i was concentrating on that. for right now, that situation is up to date and i am negotiating with my mtge company to see if we can lower the mtge payment (CitiMortgage).... I live in New Jersey.... so, i am the only one working, husband is unemployed since July..... So, any suggestions here? I REALLY hope i do not get lawsuits from all the other credit card companies! This is so awful and such a big, dramatic move from them!! I guess lesson i have learned so far is that it would have helped me to communicate with them but i thought i had a little more time... in the past i paid all my bills! a few months of bad luck and they are all on top of you !! I don't think these debts are so old that i don't owe them anymore,,it would be hard to tell because my debts are prob. from orig. purchases made, and then paying them off a little at a time, and believe me, all the interest and fees have added a significant amount to what i owe..... Anyway, this was such a shock.... Thanks for your time........

Submitted by joanne_moretti on Fri, 10/02/2009 - 09:48

joanne_moretti

( Posts: | Credits: )

I owe on some credit cards. I went to court on jan. 26, 2009 and 10-16-09 they decided to garnish my check. I only work nine months out of the year as a asst. teacher. Is it to late to stop this garnishment and use a debt consolidated?

Submitted by on Wed, 10/21/2009 - 08:30

I made the mistake of letting a default judegment bagainst be granted in court. I was dealing with so much with my family that I thought it wasn't serious.now they are about to garnish my wages.I need all my paycheck to pay my kids tuition!I am so scared.i live in nys.thank you for any help;i am terrified so much.

Submitted by on Wed, 11/11/2009 - 08:37

2001? In my state, that goes beyond the statue of limitations and they do not have a case. Show up in court with your defense, and more than likely it will get thrown away.

First find out the statute of limitations on revolving debt in your state. Sounds like they are trying to re - age something from 2001? Thats 8 years!

Submitted by on Wed, 11/11/2009 - 08:42

Oh, I did not see that a default judgement is against you. In that case, find out the method that was served, and go after that defense.. If you were not properly served, then they do not have a case. That the only defense I can think of.

Submitted by on Wed, 11/11/2009 - 08:44

If no one signed for it, its not legit.. I am in business and get "lawsuits" in the mail all the time by bottom feeders looking to intimdate me. Its ridiculous. And other lawsuits I get via certified mail, I ignore. Not signed, not served, no case.

Submitted by on Wed, 11/11/2009 - 08:45

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Know that entering into a consolidation program with any company to reduce your interest rates, prevents you from purchasing a car or home until the program is completed. This is due to the fact that being in this program will be stated on your credit report. If you quit the program for any reason or miss one payment (ever), forget about buying another car or home on credit until it falls off your credit (7 years from your last payment). This wasn't explained to me when I enrolled and it was impossible buying a car, which I needed for work. I ended up being dropped from the program, because I missed one payment while I was between jobs. However, I did find a good company that settled my debts and they even included free credit repair. I only ended up paying about half of what I owed (including their fee). I recommend DWScott Financial. I think their website is DELETED

you know it's their web address.however posting the link is not allowed per TOS rules.

Submitted by on Wed, 11/11/2009 - 14:52

Well, I don't know whether this is the right section to post in.
However, I'm new here but I would like to say that it is a great thing you guys have going here.
I simply love it!
Thanks for so much information you guys have imparted.
Thank you.
Regards,
CJ,

[URL="http://www.perimetercomputer.com"][/URL]

Submitted by on Tue, 12/08/2009 - 09:43

I live in a house and I have a rental. Both houses are top heavy, but I want to hang onto them. I have $40,000 cash to make budget over the next 4 years for my wife to get her speech degree. As of June '09, she got out of real estate and became a student. I told the creditors I could start paying them back in Dec. 2013 when she gets out of school. Until then, I would lose both our houses if I gave that cash to the creditors. I just received lawsuit papers from one of the creditors that they are suing. Can I still keep the houses?

Submitted by on Thu, 12/31/2009 - 12:46

I was forced to retire after 25 years, due to health reasons, last may. I will not be able to draw my retirement for 3 years. My husband was hurt on the job in 2004 and is in the process of trying to get Social Security Disability, but don't hold your breath as Houston is the hardest place in the US to get approved. We have no income and no possiblity of jobs. We live with my father in law, so we have a roof over our heads. I have tried to explain to the credit card companies first and now to the collection agencies the situation. Any ideas as to what I should do.?????

Submitted by on Thu, 12/31/2009 - 12:59

It's all based on your total amount per card. Keep in mind, these creditors have to hire outside lawyers and if its over an extremely low debt the odds of you being sued would be minimal. Now if you just stopped paying on a $10,000+ Card, that's a different story and you most likely would get a summons to court.

Brandon David

Founder, Manager of Operations;
deleted....pm

your solicitory links have been deleted before brandon,and will be again.

Submitted by on Thu, 12/31/2009 - 22:06

I do not have money to pay them off or settle...they are not cooperating with the debt settlement comp. Before I went with the debt settlement HSBC just gave me the run around when I tried to work out a payment plan and they harrassed me and because of being a caregiver plus health problems of my own HSBC just wore me down and I turned things over to the debt settlement. I am so upset because they are sueing me anyway. I do not understand this...I have no money for an attorney...what choice do I have.??/..I would loose everything in BR. I am a senior...and only have my Soc Sec until I can get on my feet. thank you for any suggestions.

Submitted by on Sun, 01/03/2010 - 20:02

Quote:

what choice do I have.??

Not much, especially when you indeed owe the debt.

Well, the creditor has the discretion not to cooperate with the settlement firm and therefore can sue you for the debt. I'd suggest you to speak to the settlement firm immediately and update them about the development. You need to build a defence for yourself to reply to their summons.

Do you have documents to show that HSBC has rejected your settlement proposals in the past when you tried to sort the matter with them? Also carry proves that you're currently on social security which can't be garnished.

Submitted by SC on Sun, 01/03/2010 - 21:31

SC

( Posts: 3937 | Credits: )

like sc mentioned have those papers ready and take them to court with you. in my case the judge was pretty peeved that citibank waisted his time when i was trying to do something instead of nothing. they dont look too kindly on that sort of thing and it will help in your favor, you will mostlikely still get judgment BUT how he requires you to pay it may make it easier. in my case i had as long as i wanted to pay it or not pay it. he put a lein on my home and told me right in front of them if i have never had intentions of moving dont worry about paying it. i still did when i got the money but still i had as long as i wanted. and you can still negotiate even after judgement keep that in mind also

Submitted by love_my_things on Mon, 01/04/2010 - 11:24

love_my_things

( Posts: 1434 | Credits: )

Hi everybody. I just registered here, and this looks like a great forum. Very professional and friendly. Keep up the great work!
I'm just an average city kid, currently i am attending the university of philadelphia and my name is Sam. Just wanted to say hello to you
all i hope to have a great time here i guess!

Submitted by on Wed, 01/13/2010 - 22:47

We have been served in missouri for a substantial credit card debt after we received letter of validation and we are within the SOL. We now can afford to go on a payment plan or debt settlement. How do you suggest we respond? Thank you.

Submitted by on Thu, 01/14/2010 - 15:34

im in nc can a credit card company take my property for a unsecured debt and can the court order me to sell my property

Submitted by on Wed, 01/20/2010 - 15:10

Back in 06 i had 2 surgeries, there was 1 mth that i was short on my check and wrote all my creditors a check for $20.00. My minimum payment on my visa was $21.00. Because of that $1.00 they tacked on $100.00 fees and charges and upped my interest to 29.9. I wrote them a letter explaining my situation (i had never been late on any payments) and they in 30 words or more told me tough s___, so i called the number on the letter that they told me and talked to 1 of the customer svc reps and about 1 week later i got a letter from him telling me the same thing. To make a LONG story short i made 3 more calls to other people that they told me to and the same. Finally they gave me 1 more name and number that i called 4 times and left a message but never got a call back. Now they have sued me and i was wondering if i take all the documentation to court with me and show the judge how much i tried to get them to work with me if it is possible that he could throw it out and me not owe it anymore? Or what do you think the judge will do? I owed $700 more or less and they are trying to get $2200.00 out of me now.

Submitted by on Thu, 01/28/2010 - 00:00

Hey Nelly, I got a wage garnishment notice in the mail, and I'm just wondering if this can be legally done if the SOL has expired? Also is it too late at this point to send the letter to the law firm representing them requesting validation of this debt?

Submitted by on Thu, 01/28/2010 - 07:58

I keep getting calls/letters on an old Providian credit card I defaulted on from 2005. I know Providian was sold to Washington Mutual in 2005 ...and WaMu later went bankrupt in 2008. The SOL for New Mexico (I think) is 4 years. Does the WaMu bankruptcy help me? I don't think any debt I owed to a now defunct company can be sold to a collection agency w/o my consent. Is that logic correct?

Submitted by on Sun, 02/14/2010 - 14:41

The Bureau of Collection Recovery is MORE than annoying and rude about my 92 yr. old Mother's credit debt with Chase. They will not even tell me which of several Chase cards that hae different addresses for payment.

I have her POA, but am not a co-signer. She is in hospital and will probably die there or in a nursing home and never return to my home, but this is the only address and phone number she has had in the last 10 years.

What is this "cease and desist" letter BCR wants to stop calling me 5-10 times a day AND using a robocaller and using a local area code person who tries to connect me - often without doing so? Do I have to hire an attorney for a "cease and desist" letter? I cannot find an example of one.

Submitted by on Mon, 02/15/2010 - 13:16

AFTER LAYOFFS AND HOSPITALIZATION, WE STARTED TO FALL BEHIND ON cc PAYMENTS. WE OWE A TOTAL OF $34K TO CITIBANK BETWEEN MINE AND MY HUSBAND'S ACCOUNTS. AS SOON AS WE STARTED HAVING FINANCIAL PROBLEMS, BEFORE MISSING PAYMENTS, WE TRIED TO GET THEM TO WOK WITH US TO NO AVAIL. NOW ONE OF OUR ACCOUNTS IS 80 DAYS PAST DUE, AND THEY ARE STILL REFUSING TO WORK WITH US. THEY HAVE ALSO INCREASED THE INTEREST ON MY ACCOUNT. WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD GREAT CREDIT AND PAID EVERY BILL ON TIME. WE HAVE BEEN CUSTOMERS OF CITIBANK FOR OVER 15 YEARS. WHAT PLAN OF ACTION SHOULD WE TAKE? WHAT IS THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN TO US? WE ARE EXTREMELY CONCERNED.

Submitted by on Tue, 02/16/2010 - 20:01