Share post
Debt Consolidation Forums Debt Consolidation and Debt Settlement forums

What is the worst thing that can happen when you are sued?

member profile picture
Credits: 0
[Donate]

I am being sued by citibank credit card. I live with my daughter and have no income, i have not been able to pay on this debt since oct2001, i am scared i have never had this happen to me. what is the worst thing will happen to me?

Can unemployment payments be garnished for credit card debt?

Sub: #81 posted on Sat, 03/27/2010 - 23:25

Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can unemployment payments be garnished for credit card debt?

No, your unemployment payment can't be garnished for credit card debt. But if a wage garnishment ruling is given to the creditor, it would remain enforceable whenever you rejoin the workforce.

Sub: #82 posted on Sun, 03/28/2010 - 22:06

SC SC
Moderators
(Posts: 3937 | Credits: )

hi, i received a letter from bank of america credit card they going to sue me, if that happen, and separated but not legal yet because i dont have money im not living in the same place with her, she has a car that is pay in full and she is working, the sue can affect her? a friend told me that the bank can take her car, and get a portion from her job, that is true? im not working right now im almost homeless, dont know what to do if they sue me i dont have money to pay a lawyer, im in miami, florida, excuse for my writing thank you...

Sub: #83 posted on Thu, 04/01/2010 - 19:06

Unregistered

I have been summoned to court for credit card debt I owe. The actual amount I owed on card was half of what collection agency is asking for. I was layed off from work 5 yrs. ago from full-time job and since have only been able to get part-time. I've been researching similiar cases and noticed in most cases the summons asks for an answer within a 20-30day after receiving summons. No where on summons does it state this. I am a week away from appearing in court. Any suggestions?

Sub: #84 posted on Tue, 04/13/2010 - 11:58

Unregistered

The standard time to reply in every state's civil procedure code is 30 days from the date of service. The summons will usually state the time for reply on the second page near the end, in Illinois. If your time to reply has expired then the best thing you can do is go to court on the day of the hearing with your summons and speak to the judge. If you can show that you have a valid reason for not responding then he may give you time to respond. Different states may have different procedures, so if your local court house has an advice desk for civil matters, it would be a good idea to pay them a visit.

Quote:
I have been summoned to court for credit card debt I owe. The actual amount I owed on card was half of what collection agency is asking for. I was layed off from work 5 yrs. ago from full-time job and since have only been able to get part-time. I've been researching similiar cases and noticed in most cases the summons asks for an answer within a 20-30day after receiving summons. No where on summons does it state this. I am a week away from appearing in court. Any suggestions?

Sub: #85 posted on Tue, 04/13/2010 - 13:01

OVLG Attorney OVLG Attorney

(Posts: 511 | Credits: )

Quote:
The Bureau of Collection Recovery is MORE than annoying and rude about my 92 yr. old Mother's credit debt with Chase. They will not even tell me which of several Chase cards that hae different addresses for payment.
I have her POA, but am not a co-signer. She is in hospital and will probably die there or in a nursing home and never return to my home, but this is the only address and phone number she has had in the last 10 years.
What is this "cease and desist" letter BCR wants to stop calling me 5-10 times a day AND using a robocaller and using a local area code person who tries to connect me - often without doing so? Do I have to hire an attorney for a "cease and desist" letter? I cannot find an example of one.

Darla:

First let me say that I am not trying to be insensitive when I say this. One of the biggest lies out there is that unsecured CC debt passes to the relatives of the deceased. Unless you are a cosignor, or the debt is secured by your mothers house - the CC company can get stuffed. Cease and Desist letters are dangerous. They usually lead to lawsuits as you piss off the CC company. Hang tough. Ignore the phone calls and let it go to voice mail. Turn OFF the phone if it bothers you that much.

Read up on the FCRA for regs on debts after dying. Pretty clear.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sub: #86 posted on Wed, 04/14/2010 - 08:41

Unregistered

Quote:

What state are you in? You should definitely go to court and answer the summons. I would recommend you google a good attorney to represent you. They are surprisingly inexpensive and love taking on the CC companies. 95% of people who get a summons don't respond and the CC companies get a Default judgement which means you're cooked. They get the FULL amount owing to you plus legal costs and can then garnish wages, bank accounts, put liens on property etc. etc. If you can't afford an attorney - google representing yourself in court for CC cases. The BIGGEST thing is the CC company expects you won't show up. When you do show up be SURE NOT TO ADMIT you owe anything. Ask the judge for proof of debt. Where is the original alleged agreement you signed with the CC company. Stall, stall, stall. 99% of the time the CC company will settle for pennies or better yet the case is chucked out. Go down swinging!

Sub: #87 posted on Wed, 04/14/2010 - 08:46

Unregistered

if you are in debt in one country and move to another country can the debt be collected?

Sub: #88 posted on Sun, 04/18/2010 - 12:52

Unregistered

Quote:
if you are in debt in one country and move to another country can the debt be collected?

That depends on who you owe :)

Sub: #89 posted on Fri, 04/30/2010 - 17:01

Unregistered

You can be sued but it doesn't mean that they would win. And don't let it get to that point - talk to your lenders and work out an agreement. If you don't know what to say or how to deal, attend a credit counseling session. It is free.

Sub: #90 posted on Fri, 06/04/2010 - 04:03

missym1700 missym1700

(Posts: 7 | Credits: )

Page loaded in 0.135 seconds.