Skip to main content
index page

If you win some contest and get some extra cash from prize money then what will you do with it?

Submitted by Vikas on Wed, 12/31/2008 - 22:27
Credits:
[Donate]

Many a times we participate in contests. Suppose you've won such a contest and got the prize money. How productively can you use this extra money during this current economic crisis? Share your plans.

I would use it to pay off my school loans. If I could pay this off then that would mean in the long run I will be saving money, because of the high interest rate. and if there is any extra, I would put it towards my medical expenses, so it won't go to collectors. That is what I would do if I won some extra cash.

Submitted by Yajaira on Thu, 01/01/2009 - 12:44

Yajaira

( Posts: | Credits: )

It would depend on the amount of money I won. If I won under $500, I would use the money to pay my household bills (electric, phone) and buy groceries. If I won $1,000, I would put it in the bank for a rainy day. If I won $5,000, I would probably use it as a down payment (or possibly full payment) on a new or pre-owned (lease return) car (Kia or Hyundai). If I won $10,000, I would use that to pay off principal on my mobile home mortgage. If I won $50,000 or more, I would pay off my house in full, then take care of my one delinquint card, then if there were anything left over, take care of my charged-off card, and maybe go on vacation.

If I win the $50 for this question, I'm going to take my son to the Movie Grill for dinner and a movie.

Submitted by kjc1585 on Fri, 01/02/2009 - 11:29

kjc1585

I was laid off Dec 5, 2008 so I would have to be "non-creative and spontaneous" and try to put it into savings account and save up for hopefully a short summer trip with my son. If I were to find another job soon and it paid ok, then I might just donate at least 1/2 the money to charity and the other 1/2 to pay down bills or get ahead for electric bill for summer months!

Submitted by whatevertoday on Fri, 01/02/2009 - 22:53

whatevertoday

( Posts: 11 | Credits: )

It would depend on the amount won. However, I would first make sure that I had a roof over my head, utilities on, and food in the house. Then, I would use the amount to start my emergency fund. I have learned from this website that it is important to have an emergency fund so that I would not have to make bad financial borrowing decisions when something comes up like a medical expense or car repair. I want to set myself up for a bright financial future.

Submitted by 1susan1111 on Sun, 01/04/2009 - 07:19

1susan1111

( Posts: 46 | Credits: )

If my prize was a very large sum of money, then I would definitely pay off my major bills. This would help my monthly financial situation by giving me more money to work with. I would also put some in a savings account (that kind like a Christmas Club, that can't be touched for a certain period of time). I would also give some money to my mother who is on a very limited income and doesn't ever have a lot of extra money.

If the prize was a smaller amount of money, then I would maybe pay off one of my smaller debts or buy something new for myself (which I never seem to do). I would definitely do something like take my mom and I out to a fancy dinner.

I always get the most pleasure from a "win" or a gift when I can share it with my loved ones.

Submitted by Lorri on Sun, 01/04/2009 - 19:55

Lorri

( Posts: 1721 | Credits: )

If it was just a little bit, I'd probably buy groceries and cat food, and make sure my utility bills were current. If it were a sizable amount, I would split it between the debts I am trying to settle, and the people in my life that have been generous enough to help me out from time to time. They deserve to be paid back as well, and "extra" money would help me start doing that now instead of waiting until all my credit cards are paid off.

Submitted by SusieQ on Mon, 01/05/2009 - 12:32

SusieQ

( Posts: 302 | Credits: )

the first thing i would do is invest in my future. I would divide the money into 3. 2/3rds of it would go into a prepaid college fund for my 2 sons. Right now, even though times are tough, we are surviving. i want to make sure that they will have money for their education. With the last 1/3, i would put it into a high interest bearing savings account ad/or cd.

Submitted by patricia Lynn gregory on Mon, 01/05/2009 - 19:41

patricia Lynn gregory

I will put it in a savings account that I am opening the end of this month for a vacation. I promised my oldest two children a couple of years ago that when their little sister turns 5, I will take them to Disney World. Well, she turns 5 this summer and they have not stopped talking about going to Disney World this year ever since her 4th birthday. I didn't realize how expensive Disney World was until this morning when I was looking up hotel and ticket prices so I decided until July, any extra money I have will get put in a savings account so the kids can have a really good time.

Submitted by Kenya Young on Tue, 01/06/2009 - 13:51

Kenya Young

Wisely save it if there is a mean, or put it on shelter and food if it is in need...and for some reason my family and neighborhood are in need I will share with them. Give back to churches/ non profit agencies who help those unfortunates. My child education and my health expenses will be also contemplated. Pay off all my debts including my mortgage will be also first plan. OF course save some by investing for my retirement.
Thanks

Submitted by Maria Amado on Wed, 01/07/2009 - 10:01

Maria Amado

depending on how much the money it is would make a huge difference. You know I just signed up for the Publisher Clearing House and they said there was a winner in my area so I am pretending I have that won that. I would probably pay off some of my bills, however that may take jobs away form those who keep calling, but I would have enough to pay off those bills and then I would donate money to the 2 schools I have worked for, for technology labs, creating serveral full time positions of tech supervisors and instructors so students would not only have the technology but someone other than the regular teaching staff to answer questions. I would also donate to my local church and help provide small stipends for retreats and youth functions. Then I would probably set up some foundation that provides jobs for going out into the community to help the needy. People could apply for jobs that need to be done, and my foundation would pay people to work on those jobs starting at the planning stage, prep stage through the completion stage. And finally I would build my mom a new home because she deserves the very best! Because you know the Publisher's Clearing House makes dreams come true!

Submitted by mjanssen on Thu, 01/08/2009 - 08:34

mjanssen

( Posts: 84 | Credits: )

If I were to win extra money from a contest, I would use it to jump-start my small business -- one that caters to those who cannot or do not have the time to run the everyday errands necessitated by life, a service that does not exist in this town. It does not require a lot of start-up capital, so any amount of money would be great. In these times of economic hardship, any amount of money is like winning the lottery! I'd also use $10 of it to take my nephew out to eat at McDonald's!

Submitted by Deana Roberts on Thu, 01/08/2009 - 11:28

Deana Roberts

To put it simply, I'd get myself out of debt!! Once you start falling behind, it becomes tougher with each passing payday to catch up, causing individuals to fall even further behind. I believe that most people in debt are good, honest people just trying to make a living for themselves and their families. With the economy the way it is, many are forced to turn to loans, credit cards, and other necessary solutions that bear long-term consequences. Personally speaking, it's not that I (nor many others in the same position) do not want to pay off our debts, it becomes a matter of what's a priority in your life. Many would consider food, shelter, clothing, etc. to be essential basics for life, causing the ability to pay off debts to fall farther down the list of expenses. I'd do anything to to have a clean slate, financially, however I had to take necessary measures at that point in time. My income is adequate to support what living expenses I currently have, so if/when I obtain any extra money, it goes directly towards my debt. Unfortunately, the rising interest and late fees never enable me to get ahead. So, if I won some prize money from a contest it would all go to paying off my debts and hopefully ending this cycle!! Whatever extra prize money is left, I would absolutely, without a doubt, give to the other close people in my life who are also in debt.

Submitted by Jennifer Mahon on Fri, 01/09/2009 - 17:04

Jennifer Mahon

Our youth pastor has just informed us that due to the present economy here in Michigan they will have to leave our church, the youth ministry and move out of town. We love them very dearly and will be heartbroken if they move. We know God will bless whenever and wherever they go. I would give it to them as a blessing and an expression of God's love for them to show that we care.

Submitted by Bob Harter on Sat, 01/10/2009 - 08:04

Bob Harter

I would put some onto bills to get those down some more. I would also put some into savings in case of an emergency (something always comes up!). One last thing I would do would be to have a movie night or go out somewhere as a family...when you have debt or are tight on money that is something that tends to fall wayside (it is important not to get rid of everything).

Submitted by Jacki on Sat, 01/10/2009 - 23:04

Jacki

It would depend on the amount of money you would win. If it where a small amount like a couple of hundreds, I would puat toward my doctor bills, which are really building up. I had, what was suppose to be a minor surgery and due to doctor negligence, I had to have about 3 surgeries to fix the problem. This happend August of 2007, but I am stilling under doctor's care to assure all the healing is properly taken place. That was real set back for my family because I ended up being out of work for 3 months.

If it where a very large sum of money, I would still put it toward my doctor bills and other bills we would like to pay off, but I would love to give some to my parents, my brothers, niece and nephews, and to my in-laws. I would want all of us to go on a cruise vacation and enjoy each others couple away from all the hardships of life, just for a week or two. I'd rather do something like that rather than to spend it all on myself. What makes me happy is seeing my
family relaxing and enjoying themselves.

I would like to give some of the money to my parents and my brother and his wife (my sister) because of the economic status that our economy is in right now. It really isn't hitting us too hard because we were already in the class of citizens that has to struggle everyday to make it. We know what it is like to go without a lot of things we wanted, just so our parents could put food on the table, pay doctor bills, and keep adequate heat in the house, and put clothes on our back. Life is just hard and we don't know what it would be like to live without worries of how we are going to make it from one week to the next.

Submitted by Beryl Robinson on Tue, 01/13/2009 - 00:44

Beryl Robinson

Depending upon the amount that I won, the first thing that I would do is either pay off my vehicle if there was enough money, or at the very least bring my payments up to date. If there was enough left over, I would put the equivalent of 3 months salary into savings. I would then open a secured credit card to begin rebuilding my credit, with the hopes that I would someday actually have good enough credit to buy a small home. I don't have fantastic dreams of big money - my dream is to be able to pay bills on time, have a full refrigerator, a modest vehicle and a small home. If I won a major contest (lots of money) I would do the above, and also help my family with their moeny issues also - my parents for example are retired and are barely getting by. I would put money into a savings for them to draw on if they needed something fixed, or had medical expenses that they could not afford on their own.

Submitted by Kathleen Crowley on Tue, 01/13/2009 - 09:42

Kathleen Crowley

In these tough economic times; time and money management is crucial, I would invest some of the money into a Not for Profir financial consulting business that would offer free help to those who cannot afford it to help them get back on their feet to financial management and /or freedom. Programs like debt management courses, credit assessment services, free year round credit report alert etc.

Submitted by monicafranklin on Thu, 01/15/2009 - 11:53

monicafranklin

I know I should say I would do something responsible with the money, but I will be completely honest. I would take my kids out to a movie and maybe to a buffet place. We don't often get to go out as a family; it cost us about 75 dollars an outting, if we include a movie.

Submitted by FYI on Fri, 01/16/2009 - 09:58

FYI

( Posts: 1950 | Credits: )