Skip to main content
index page

Asset Acceptance LLC

Submitted by on Tue, 02/08/2005 - 11:31
Credits:
[Donate]

I have a credit problem. When I was 18 I bought a car I did not qualify for. It was repossessed a year later. Now I am 24 and would like to start taking care of such things, and I got my credit report. Well the bank is on there and I am trying to work it out with them yet Asset Acceptance is trying to tell me I owe them 10,000+ also. This can't be right! What do I do?

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for visiting us and we welcome you to debtconsolidation care forum.

Quote:

Yet Asset Acceptance is trying to tell me I owe them 10,000+ also. This can't be right! What do I do?

Call up the AA for debt validation Certificate and they must provide you with details, as failure would be a serious violation of the fdcpa.

Get yourself registered for free counseling and advice,

All the best,
Simon

Submitted by simon on Wed, 02/09/2005 - 12:38

simon

( Posts: 307 | Credits: )

Why would Asset Acceptance try to collect on a debt that has been paid for over 3 years? Talk about scamming people - these people should be in jail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Submitted by on Sun, 03/20/2005 - 17:48

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

i'm looking for addresses for asset acceptance llc,Rossman&Co.ASG Collections and Credit Collections......if anyone has found a web site for these companies i would appreciate it....they have for 1000 and 1000 in debt and i can't find them.
thank you

Submitted by on Mon, 04/04/2005 - 10:27

Now here this the lady that you are looking for passed away back in 1992 so we don't no who had this charge but it wasn't her. So please stop sending this mail to my house at 684 E Second St in Xenia because no one here can help you. I have a new wife now and we don't no anything about Deb having this charge she has been dead for 13 years. So leave us alone.

Submitted by on Tue, 04/05/2005 - 07:37

These people are trying to collect a debt on me that was claimed in a BK the BK was dismissed in 1999. The orginal debt was made in 1994.They claim that they debt is still owed and are still putting 18% intrest a month on the debt as the old credit card did. I called and asked them to gain the original debt. They told me that it wasnt thier job and instead of sending me a validation notice they sent me a amount to pay. I want to confirm the orginal debt is actually owed.

Then they told me that I called a dozen times before this date saying we claimed a BK. Ihave nevre talked to these people before they say that they have phone records. I kid you not. They made up a file on me. They even said they sent a bunch of letters last year, which I never recieved.

They are reporting on my credit report I want them off. They started recently. How do I fix this. They have made up some lies and now what do I do?

Submitted by on Mon, 04/25/2005 - 16:40

Hi Giveu2tictacs

It's really very sad to realize your problem. I ask you to be mentally strong at this situation. If you are sure that you don't owe to them, then you should always ask for the proof that they are claiming. If they have made phone calls repeatedly, then there must be some records of it. You need to see them if they actually did. If they have sent letters to you, then you need to see those slips sent by them through mails.

I think there must have been some communication gap between you and them. So that has resulted to all these problems. Talk to them with patience and try to make them understand your problem. I am sure something will come out positively after that calm conversation

Do let us know what actually happens after you talk with them.

Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Mon, 04/25/2005 - 17:46

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

I had recenty spoken to them. They stated that they have talked to me many times last year when I have never heard of them. They also state that they have sent out letters. I asked them to validate the debt by sending the orignal account number or debt They refuse to do it. They even went as far as putting an iquury on my credit report today even though they report on it. So they are trying to hurtme in that way also.

According to them the original account was opened in 1994 and closed in 1996 the BK was opened in 1996 closed in 1999. The orginal ammount according to them was $400 and the letter they sent me it is now $1100.

Here is the funny part. They told me the took over the debt in 1999 but on my credit report it states 2003.

It is all screwed up, I feel like I am never gonna beable to fix this. This could prevent me from buying a home...

Submitted by on Mon, 04/25/2005 - 19:37

Hi giveu2tictacs

That really puts you to file a case against them. Consult a lawyer as he will be able to show the positive side to deal with it. What I can suggest you is that you can get yourself registered here and then one consultant will get in touch with you and will provide you with some useful professional help. You won't be in any pressure because your decision will be the final thing. At least, you need to make one positive move towards handling this situation. You just can't sit like that with your problems over your head. Is it?
You can do this at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com and fill the form and the rest will be done by them.

Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Tue, 04/26/2005 - 11:19

roxette

What state are you from??? Might be that you are beyond the statute of limitations for them to be collecting on this debt.

Do you know if this is your account? And did you say you filed bankruptcy which included this debt? If I am reading right, then you would also contact bankruptcy attorney to report this collection agency for collection efforts on a discharged debt. And also file complaint with the FTC.

Submitted by Pammila on Tue, 04/26/2005 - 11:25

Pammila

( Posts: 112 | Credits: )

[quote=Notgoingtobescammed]Why would Asset Acceptance try to collect on a debt that has been paid for over 3 years? Talk about scamming people - these people should be in jail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:[/quote]

Asset is in the business of scamming ppl - they continually add on to your debt re age your accounts harrass you at home and at work- they also DO NOT provide validations and no they dont care if they are violating your fdcpa rights i have battled these scumbags for four years now!

Submitted by on Thu, 05/19/2005 - 17:19

[quote=Giveu2tictacs]These people are trying to collect a debt on me that was claimed in a BK the BK was dismissed in 1999. The orginal debt was made in 1994.They claim that they debt is still owed and are still putting 18% intrest a month on the debt as the old credit card did. I called and asked them to gain the original debt. They told me that it wasnt thier job and instead of sending me a validation notice they sent me a amount to pay. I want to confirm the orginal debt is actually owed.

Then they told me that I called a dozen times before this date saying we claimed a BK. Ihave nevre talked to these people before they say that they have phone records. I kid you not. They made up a file on me. They even said they sent a bunch of letters last year, which I never recieved.

They are reporting on my credit report I want them off. They started recently. How do I fix this. They have made up some lies and now what do I do?[/quote]

If the DOLA (date of last activity) on this debt was in 1994 then it is an obsolete and uncollectable debt period!If it is reporting on your consumer credit files simply dispute the item as obsolete. It must be deleted from your file. Tell asset this debt is over 7 years old and be done with them!

Submitted by on Thu, 05/19/2005 - 17:26

[quote=Giveu2tictacs]These people are trying to collect a debt on me that was claimed in a BK the BK was dismissed in 1999. The orginal debt was made in 1994.They claim that they debt is still owed and are still putting 18% intrest a month on the debt as the old credit card did. I called and asked them to gain the original debt. They told me that it wasnt thier job and instead of sending me a validation notice they sent me a amount to pay. I want to confirm the orginal debt is actually owed.

They are reporting on my credit report I want them off. They started recently. How do I fix this. They have made up some lies and now what do I do?[/quote]

If the DOLA (date of last activity) on this debt was in 1994 then it is an obsolete and uncollectable debt period!If it is reporting on your consumer credit files simply dispute the item as obsolete. It must be deleted from your file. Tell asset this debt is over 7 years old and be done with them!

Submitted by on Thu, 05/19/2005 - 17:28

Hi Nadda

Welcome to the forums. It seems that you have had a worst experience while working with Asset Acceptance. Please tell us your experiences while working with them so that a lot of people can take precautionary steps.

Please post your valuable comments and keep us updating on the board.

Thanks
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 05/20/2005 - 12:04

roxette

Just to let you know, Asset Acceptance is an unscrupulous company :evil: . I have filed complaints with the California District Attorney and the FTC. They were one of about half dozen collection agencies which tried to collect from me on a bogus debt.

They erroniously claimed I had an account in collection, in the amount of $505.00 said to be owed to Holiday Health Spa of California. Also, arrow financial services (another of these scumbag companies) tried to collect $1600 from me on the same account. At the time, I wrote a letter, demanding they cease all collection activities. The harrassing communications from these two agencies stopped. However, this was followed up by a string of at least half dozen collection agencies harassing me by telephone and mail (They must have sold the account).

This is a fraudulent claim. The only time I ever had an account with Holiday Health Spa was back in 1992. I have not had an account with them since that time, as Asset and the others claimed. Furthermore, to my knowledge I never owed Holiday Health Spa money, nor has any claim against me for said amounts ever shown up previously on my credit reports. In addition to the fact that they are way beyond the statute of limitations, I discovered that this claim is also in direct violation of California State code CC Section 1812.88, in which a health spa must advise me that a debt is being assigned for collection. None was ever issued.

Fortunately, I saw a news program which reported this type of claim as a scam. As I understand it, certain unscrupulous collection agencies have preyed upon and collected sums of money from many innocent victims, representing bogus claims such as this one. According to the report, these agencies are under investigation by the consumer fraud division of the FTC.

This did not stop Asset Acceptance and Arrow Financial Services from entering these false claims in two of three credit reporting agencies. By writing to the credit agencies, I was finally able to get them removed (You're guilty until proven innocent). However, there are what is deemed "permissible" entries on my TransUnion credit report from both of these agencies, the purpose of which is described as "collection." As I understand it, these entries will stay on my credit report for two years. I am currently fighting to get them removed.

By the way, other than these entries, my credit record is pristine. When these entries were discovered, I was in the process of qualifying for a new home loan and it really hurt my credit score. Am I angry? Do I want revenge? You bet! Right now, I am in communication with a law firm who is bringing class action suits against both of these collection agencies.

Submitted by on Fri, 05/20/2005 - 15:01

Hi larbabe

Quote:

By writing to the credit agencies, I was finally able to get them removed (You're guilty until proven innocent).

It's obvious that you had a very tough fight fighting against the damages caused to you. And that you are still fighting with all your toughness. I wish you all the best for whatever steps you take and hope that you come out of these problems very soon.

Please join us as a member of this site after signing up at the home page filling one short registration form and start enjoying benefits and reward points which can be converted to prize money. This registration is completely free of cost.

Hoping that you will join us on the board soon.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 05/20/2005 - 15:23

roxette

I was hit by a drunk driver when I was 18 and left disabled. As a result, I was forced to use my credit cards for a few months to pay the "copay due at time of appointment" charged by many doctors. I was young and naive, and didn't know any better when my lawyer took 1/3 of the $10,000 I would have received anyway and left it at that. Needless to say, I was unable to pay about $14,000 in credit card debt. Asset Acceptance bought one of my debts and threatened to take me to court for a judgement. As my parents keep advising me that bankruptcy will look worse than my debts, they were kind enough to volunteer the $50 a month payment.
Even after the deal was worked out and being paid, AssAcceptance continue to contact me and make threats. These are rude, heartless people! Now they're buying all my debts and pulling the same "take me to court" thing. They're trying to tack on over $1,000 in interest on one account since they bought it, supposedly a year ago. Four years have passed since the last payment made on the account, which I think is the statute of limitations for prosecuting the debt in FL. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as my next court date is in 2 weeks. One thing I've found out that may help others: Asset Acceptance Corp in no longer an active company(start atwww.residentagentinfo.com). asset acceptance llc is, but my credit report has everything they've bought listed as the first, so I'm going to try to get it off. Thanks so much for any help or advise.

Submitted by on Tue, 05/31/2005 - 01:52

Hi anti-acceptance

Welcome to the forums. It seems that you have gone through great turmoil in your life both in financial and personal grounds. Please be strong enough and never let yourself down due to disability. You still have many brighter days to come in your life.

Quote:

Needless to say, I was unable to pay about $14,000 in credit card debt. Asset Acceptance bought one of my debts and threatened to take me to court for a judgment.

Did they send Notice to you within the SOL period of the debt? Or they contacted you after the SOL elapsed.

Quote:
Even after the deal was worked out and being paid, AssAcceptance continue to contact me and make threats. These are rude, heartless people! Now they're buying all my debts and pulling the same "take me to court" thing. They're trying to tack on over $1,000 in interest on one account since they bought it, supposedly a year ago. Four years have passed since the last payment made on the account, which I think is the statute of limitations for prosecuting the debt in FL.

It seems that these are the common tactics that Asset uses for harassing the people. Please send one notice to them stating that you do not wish to communicate with them and any further correspondence from their side will be the violation of the fdcpa rights and you will have to file a case against them. If there is any existing debt which needs to be recovered, they should contact your attorney and send one debt validation letter so that you will take care of it.

Please let us know your feedback and keep in touch

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Tue, 05/31/2005 - 11:21

roxette

Did they send Notice to you within the SOL period of the debt? Or they contacted you after the SOL elapsed.

Unfortunately, they sent me the papers for a "pre-trial" hearing, whatever that is, a month before the SOL was up. Does that make a difference?

Submitted by on Fri, 06/10/2005 - 01:00

Hi anti-acceptance

Welcome back. Did you ask them to validate your debt legally? It is your legal right to know the origin of your debt and the creditor that Asset has purchased. Please read this page to know more about the debt validation procedure.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/validation.html

You can start by sending a debt validation letter mentioned below by certified mail with "return receipt requested" to the collection agency.

Quote:

Your Name
123 Your Street Address
Your City, ST 01234

ABC Collections
123 NotOnYourLife Ave
Chicago, IL

Date

Re: Acct # XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

To Whom It May Concern:

I have received your letter where you claim that I owe a debt to you and/or your company. This letter is being sent to you in response to your attached collection letter. This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is being disputed by me. I do not recognize your company and I do not believe I owe you or your company this debt.

Under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (fdcpa), which I assume you are aware of, I have the right to request validation of the debt you say I owe you. I am requesting proof that I am indeed the party you are asking to pay this debt, and there is some contractual obligation which is binding on me to pay this debt. Below are a few questions to answer which may help you to resolve these mistakes.

In addition to the questionnaire below, please attach copies of:

??? Agreement with any of your clients that grants you the authority to collect on this alleged debt

??? Agreement that bears the signature of the alleged debtor wherein he agreed to pay the creditor.

??? Any insurance claims been made by any creditor regarding this account

??? Any judgments been obtained by any creditor regarding this account

Best regards,

Your Name

--------------------------------------------

Debt Validation Form

Questionnaire to be returned to me for Account # Original Creditor's Name:

Name of Debtor:

Address of Debtor:

Balance of Account:

Date you acquired this debt:

This Debt was: assigned purchased

Please indicate any credit bureaus to which you have reported negative marks:

Experian ______

Equifax ______

TransUnion_____

Please let us know the course of your action. We will be waiting to hear from you soon.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 06/10/2005 - 12:34

roxette

I was hit by a drunk driver when I was 18 and left disabled. As a result, I was forced to use my credit cards for a few months to pay the "copay due at time of appointment" charged by many doctors. I was young and naive, and didn't know any better when my lawyer took 1/3 of the $10,000 I would have received anyway and left it at that. Needless to say, I was unable to pay about $14,000 in credit card debt. Asset Acceptance bought one of my debts and threatened to take me to court for a judgement. As my parents keep advising me that bankruptcy will look worse than my debts, they were kind enough to volunteer the $50 a month payment.
Even after the deal was worked out and being paid, AssAcceptance continue to contact me and make threats. These are rude, heartless people! Now they're buying all my debts and pulling the same "take me to court" thing. They're trying to tack on over $1,000 in interest on one account since they bought it, supposedly a year ago. Four years have passed since the last payment made on the account, which I think is the statute of limitations for prosecuting the debt in FL. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as my next court date is in 2 weeks. One thing I've found out that may help others: Asset Acceptance Corp in no longer an active company(start atwww.residentagentinfo.com). asset acceptance llc is, but my credit report has everything they've bought listed as the first, so I'm going to try to get it off. Thanks so much for any help or advise.

Pay your bills or file bankruptcy. Don't whine about all your misfortunes.

PYB

Submitted by on Fri, 06/10/2005 - 20:07

Roxette - Thanks for all your help! I've already sent the debt validation letter through certified mail to every name and address I could find for Asset Acceptance, but I have yet to receive a reply of validation. Also, the version of the letter I sent stated that all further contact made with me must be done via mail. They've started calling me several times every day since the letter was received. It seems like there should be something I could do about this, but I am unsure who to contact to file a complaint. My web searches have turned up contradicting information. Again, thanks for taking the time and consideration to help. It's nice to know there are some supportive people out there who can find it in their hearts to forgive us lesser humans struggling to do their best.

TO PYB: I am so sorry if my posting offended you. I thought that perhaps the situation the debt was incurred under might affect the way I could/should go about handling this matter. Please excuse me for not knowing any better. Obviously, my posting especially annoyed you. I was not trying to whine, and again I apologize that it bothered you so much.

Why whine when I know I'm so much happier than a nasty, bitter person like you?

Submitted by on Mon, 06/13/2005 - 02:01

Hi anti-acceptance

Welcome back. This is the right opportunity for you to file a case against the collection agency as they have violated the Consumer Protection Act afforded by the fdcpa Section 809 (b).

This act states that if a collection agency continues to call even after failing to validate the act can be sued up to $1,000. You have the right to sue them within one year from the date they violated the law. You can recover all the damages you suffered plus an additional amount. It can include all the court costs and the attorney fees.

Please consult your local attorney to take legal action against them and do make this positive move so that they further don't offend you.

Please keep us updated with the course of your action and keep posting your comments and suggestions for the community welfare. We will appreciate to have you in the forums as our registered member which is completely free of cost.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Mon, 06/13/2005 - 10:27

roxette

[quote=larbabe].

By the way, other than these entries, my credit record is pristine. When these entries were discovered, I was in the process of qualifying for a new home loan and it really hurt my credit score. Am I angry? Do I want revenge? You bet! Right now, I am in communication with a law firm who is bringing class action suits against both of these collection agencies.[/quote]

Which law firms? I would love to join in this action...Also being called by those crooks...Thanks

Submitted by on Wed, 06/15/2005 - 09:57

Another address for them found on "reverse lookup' by phone number on anywho:
phone number 586.939.9600 has its info as Asset acc. corp.
7027 Miller Dr
Warren, MI 48092

Submitted by on Wed, 06/15/2005 - 10:12

. Am I angry? Do I want revenge? You bet! Right now, I am in communication with a law firm who is bringing class action suits against both of these collection agencies.[/quote]

Hi, which firms? I'm in OH, could i join in? [color=red][size=2][email made inactive as per forum rules-Mike][/size][/color]

Submitted by on Wed, 06/15/2005 - 10:26

Hi gioziggy

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for doing community help by doing a research on yet another address for locating the Asset.

We hope to see you regularly in the forums with more of interesting suggestions so that it becomes helpful on the board.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Wed, 06/15/2005 - 13:08

roxette

These people are nasty. They called my wife and said she owed 554.00 from 1995. She said she did not owe it but did not have papers to prove it. They called again and I tried to talk to them and they offered a settlement of 227.00. Foolishly I paid it so I did not have to deal with it. Later I found out Statutes of Limitations in FL is 4 years and starts on last payment. Shame on me for being stupid but I never dealt with any collections of any sort.I guess it was a 227.00 LESSON well learned. Hope anyone else could learn from it to.

Good Luck
Stoquer

Submitted by on Mon, 06/27/2005 - 19:29

Hi Stoquer

Welcome to the forums. Since you were not completely aware of how to deal with the collectors, I guess you will consult before you make any move in the future.

Always make sure to check the statutes as well ask for validation of the debt from the collectors. Try to get the best negotiation and make regular payments if you owe the debt.

Ultimately, your credit report will only be enhanced and you will be acquiring your credit worthiness in the future.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Tue, 06/28/2005 - 11:09

roxette

[quote=Law firms' name?]. Am I angry? Do I want revenge? You bet! Right now, I am in communication with a law firm who is bringing class action suits against both of these collection agencies.[/quote]

Hi, which firms? I'm in OH, could i join in? [/quote]I'm in the middle of filing a motion to vacate an (illegal) judgement they had filed In the WRONG county! It's a long story but when I sent a letter telling them I didn't live in that county they transferred only 1 of them to the proper county. The other one I got vacated, because they knew they were wrong. Only problem is they did it
"Without predjudice" which means they could file it in the proper county. Mind you These Are 15 years old!! My court date for the other case has been continued until July 19th. this is the 3rd continuance~ and this is a debt for Under $300.00. dont be misled into thinking Asset doesn't file LAwsuits for under $500. because they will.
This is all because they went Public in February 2004, so in order to Boost their portfolio they bought millions of dollars of Debts. You can find alot of articles on this with a Google search. This is the exact same thing that Enron did, just before they went under! Interesting huh?? I'm not giving up on getting this 2nd case vacated, since it is way out of the SOL. THank you for this Forum!
Krista

[color=red][size=2][email made inactive as per forum rules-Mike][/size][/color]

Submitted by KristaM1957 on Wed, 06/29/2005 - 09:21

KristaM1957

( Posts: | Credits: )

Hi Krista

Welcome to the forums. Most of the judgments are won when the defendant does not appear in the court at the allotted date or when they fail to produce all the paperwork to the court on the hearing date.

Do let us know after you have won the case. The court usually sends a court document stating that the case was dismissed. You can produce this copy to the collection agency that contacts you and inform about it to the credit bureau also so that they remove the judgment from your credit report.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Wed, 06/29/2005 - 10:57

roxette

Asset acceptance company sued me for a debt after I asked them for verification of the debt. They filed the case by internet to the Court and the media and Judge where very excited because this caught everyones attention that asset could file claims by the internet. When I answered the complaint I pointed out to the judge that asset could not verify the complaint. She gave them 60 days to verify (should have been dismissed) we came back she gave them another 30 days. We came back again and I insisted that they verify the debt, she finally dismissed the action. This case should never have been filed. Asset uses the courts when they can't verify a complaint and hopes to get a default judgement. They even servered me with interrogatoris on this complaint, like I was supposed to help them validate the complaint. Hard to understand why the courts don't put a stop to there illegal activites. We should really all file a class action lawsuit against them

Submitted by on Tue, 07/05/2005 - 05:49

Hi woodchipper2

Although it was not necessary at all to file a complaint when they were not able to verify your debt, they have caused you mental and legal harassment knowing that the case will be dismissed. You should be reporting this incidence to the Consumer Protection Dept. in the FTC.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Tue, 07/05/2005 - 10:04

roxette

I have recently been contacted by asset acceptance llc for a credit card debt that I believe I do owe (though I'm not sure how much). My last payment was in 2002. They sent me an offer that if I pay a fairly low amount, they will send me a "paid" letter and the account will appear as "paid" on my credit report.

What steps should I follow in order to clear up this matter completely? I am concerned about sending money to this company. Should I contact the credit card company directly?

I have similar matters with other credit cards, and would like to (and have the means to) be able to clear it all up quickly.

Submitted by on Tue, 07/05/2005 - 23:22

Hi phantomkelp

Welcome to the forums. It is very nice on your part that you are conscious about repairing your credit report and you can do this by clearing all your past debts in the credit cards.

Firstly, pertaining to your legal rights allocated by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you should have a complete knowledge of the accounts that has now been placed in the collections. Please ask your collectors to give a complete detail of the said debt including the following particulars.

• The details of the account.

• All the calculation should be shown of the amount that is owed.

• Any copies of the papers to be furnished that shows the payment agreement.

• Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable

• The original creditor needs to be identified.

• The Statute of Limitation needs to be proven for the collection of the debt.

• The license of the collection agency applicable in the state is to be furnished along with the license numbers and Registered Agent

• Proof of the agreement that the debt collector has purchased the debt or has been hired by the creditor to collect the debt from the debtor as this is the basic contract law.

• Complete payment history showing the details of the creditors, payment history, amount of the debt, break up of fees/interest should be provided in paper.

• A copy of the original signed loan agreement between the debtor and the original creditor establishing the debt between both the parties also has to be produced.

As your debt is now placed in the collections, you will have to negotiate with your debt collection agency for a payment plan. Contacting the original creditors at this point won't make much difference if they have sold the debt to the collection agency.

After they have sent the details of your account and provided legal validation to it, you have to work on a monthly payment that you will be sending towards payment of your debt. You can negotiate with your collectors for a reasonable amount convenient to your present needs. Most probably, they will be accepting your payment if they don't want to harass you for insisting on larger payments towards your debt.

As you are willing to pay the said debt, things will work out positively and you will be able to clear this account in the collections as soon as possible. Viewing accounts in collections in the credit report is not a good sign for acquiring credit in the future as it shows that you have had financial problems in the past and were not able to pay your debt in time.

Their is one more thing that I will like to suggest you at this point. It is largely reported that Asset Acceptance uses unfair and obnoxious ways to recover the debt from the consumers, sometimes even claim for non-existent debts which were not at all, in the knowledge of the consumers. Anticipating a successful payment procedure, please commit all the correspondence through certified mail with 'return receipt requested' and keep enclosures safely so that you have valid proof to all your efforts made.

I do wish you all the best in clearing all your past debts and erasing the negative remarks from your credit report.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Wed, 07/06/2005 - 11:07

roxette

:evil: we had a call from Ballys Fitness center stating that we had a debt with them... Under my husbands name my husband called them and squared it away with them because come to find out it was another customer with my husbands name and almost the same social number as my husbands..... It was one number off.... come to find out they did not take care of it and yall are trying to come after the wrong person and collect a debt thats not even ours!!!!! this other person yall are after is in another state and we live in Texas so whats your answer to this????? Im trying to buy a house and its not helping us at all by having this on our credit i cant even find a phone number for yall!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Submitted by on Thu, 07/21/2005 - 12:00

soccermom4u34, please make sure that this is not a case of identity theft. Your husband's identity can be used by some other person for acquiring new credit. This will adversely harm your husband's credit file.

You can activate a fraud alert on your husband's credit file by contacting the fraud department of the three bureaus. Once the fraud alert is activated, your husband's credit file will be alerted if anyone tried to acquire a new credit card, car loan, cell phone, etc.,

The fraud alert will remain active on all the three credit bureaus and your data will be shared internally between them. If you have applied for any pre-approved credit and insurance, your name will be removed from there for a period of two years.

Experience will keep your fraud alert active for 3 months, Equifax for 6 months, and Transition for 12 months. You can keep a 7 year check requesting for victim statement in your credit file. For that you have to prove that you have been a victim of fraud.

If your husband's name is used by someone else for acquiring new credit, then it is a violation of the law and you need to take immediate action

Submitted by ben on Thu, 07/21/2005 - 13:09

ben

( Posts: 2034 | Credits: )

I called asset acceptance to settle on a bill that they verbally agreed to settle with me for 50% and removal from my credit report. I asked them to mail me this on paper and made a payment on that date to keep my offer good. I made this payment twice, however, never received the letter articulating our verbal agreement. Thus I stopped payment. 4 months later I received a letter saying asset acceptance will settle at 50%, so I recontact them. I asked them if they will make good on the previous agreement. They said that was null and void since I stopped payment. I expressed that they did not take responsiblity on their end, but I guess I have to let that slide. Here's the tricky part about the whole situation - the new rep on my account is saying that they cannot erase the debt from the credit bureaus upon payment. This is not something asset acceptance will do EVER! Is this true? And, where are the ramifications for falsely representing themselves to me and negotiating a bad deal? I asked to speak to her supervisor and she hung up on me. I don't know what to do....and to top it off the debt is an energy bill that is actually for the tenant after me...DTE never took my name off the bill after me requesting them to do so every month I received a bill!

Submitted by on Tue, 06/27/2006 - 16:41

I obtained a crdit card with Providian with a line of credit for the amount of $200.00. Aproximatley 4 years later Assest Acceptance is harrasing me. They originally claimed that they had filed a judgment against me and that was not true now they are writing me advising that they are going to garnish my wages. They claim that the amount that I now owe is over 1400.00. I mean come on is this legal I never recieved any notification from them until recently and I thought that to garnish wages you had to go to court to have a judge decide that what is going on here. This company from what I have heard is using illegal collection practices and their collections tactics are not ethical. I need help please.

Submitted by on Sat, 08/12/2006 - 14:52

Tiffany, you are aware about the illegal activities of Asset Acceptance. So, you should not get scared and send money to them in panic. I understand from your post that Asset is misrepresenting your account details and threatening to enter wrong information. This is one of the federal violations under the fdcpa laws. Besides, they are bound to validate the account specifying the interest charges and fees added in the total amount. By no means, it can sum up to $1400 on a $200. If it is true, they must prove it in writing. This is one of the purposes of a debt validation process.

BTW, check the SOL of this debt account in case you might have done the last payment long time back. By this time, the SOL might have expired on this debt account. It will be good to work out arrangements with the original creditor so that you don't have to undergo the hassles of this CA.

Submitted by PassionHunting on Sat, 08/12/2006 - 15:05

PassionHunting

( Posts: 512 | Credits: )

I am one of the uninformed. Received a letter from Financial Recovery Services. Had no clue what it was for as credit is good and this was a collection notice. Called the number and they said it was a debt from 1989. They could tell me nothing about the debt, just that they were a third party collector (Asset Acceptance) I am sending in a letter to dispute. As I was looking for info on Assett, I stumbled on to this web site. The stories definately make me a bit nervous. Can anyone advise me on what steps I should take, what to watch for, ect?

Submitted by on Tue, 03/27/2007 - 06:48