Skip to main content
index page

Harassing a non debtor

Submitted by vladrek on Thu, 03/24/2005 - 09:04
[Donate]

The story starts when I got a cell phone for Christmas. Its to be expected that Id get calls looking for the last owner of the number. Friends and business contacts of this girl (christy) seemed to understand and wouldnt call again. However ex-boyfriends(I assume) were slightly more annoying to stop calls from, Slayer songs on voice mail seemed to help.

So now after 3 months of telling people they have the wrong number the only ones still calling are 702-804-8484, it comes up as an unknown number and they have never left a message. If I answer they ask for christy, and when I tell them they have the wrong number they hang up without a word. But usually call back the next day. Obviously this isnt a serious situation, I wont get bad credit from it , and if I dont want to use up minutes I can just ignore the call every time I see the number. But Im the sort of person who doesnt like to lose control over anything....ever.

When asked who is calling they just say student loan collections then ask if they will be able to speak with christy or if I know her (like its me whos wasting their time). Once they realize theyre talking to the wrong person they hang up.....but never take my number off their call lists. Which leaves me very few options, no company name and an unlisted phone number. Through my mastery of the internet ( and google) I was able to find some info, but none of it is solid or easily conformable.

So far Ive gathered that the people trying to collect are Sallie Mae, and the letters wcc kept coming up. Which someone has pointed out most likely stands for wilshire credit corporation. The companies seem to be very much against open communication with anyone (debtor or not) and their websites dont help at all. The only contact info are fax numbers for clients to use.

Basically Id like the phone calls to stop without having to give my left arm, or any personal information (most identity theft cases are caused by inept corporations).

So any thoughts?

Hi vladrek,

Welcome to the forums

It is quite a strange situation :roll: , dial this number back and see what the response is. I feel it should stop, as most collection agencies stop after few months of unsuccessful trials.

Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Thu, 03/24/2005 - 09:48

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )

My guess is that it's a call center phone number, since every time I answer it's someone new, and I've been put on hold "for a very important call". Dialing the number results in it ringing for a few minutes without an answer or a busy signal.

I really don't expect to resolve this in any other way but waiting it out. But I thought it might be good to point out in various places on the internet that the systems these companies use to collect are horribly inefficient and blockheaded, due to their lack of ability to use basic human comunication.

Submitted by vladrek on Thu, 03/24/2005 - 10:48

vladrek

( Posts: | Credits: )

Next time they call, tell them that you will report to police if you do not stop calling. Sometimes these threats work.

Submitted by Vikas on Thu, 03/24/2005 - 21:35

Vikas

I have a similar situation with an 800# calling me. I finally called back and was electronically asked if my account ended in a certain number. I pressed no and the entered a bogus 15 digit number (credit card numbers are 15 digits long) The system did not recognize the number so i tried another random 15 digit # and was connected to a rep. The rep checked the phone number against the accounts after identifying themselves as household credit services collection dept. Of course my cell number and the name on the account did not agree and they promised to remove the number. I made it very apparent to them that if they called one more time I was going to treat it as telemarketing call and since the number is registered on the national do not call registry I would complain and try and have the maximum 11,000 fine levied against them. I also found out that House Hold Credit Services is connected to HSBC bank and intend to take the issue up with HSBC next week.

Good luck and give em Hell for the harrasement

Submitted by on Fri, 03/25/2005 - 16:26

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Hi bill

Are you sure that HSBC Bank will be involved with such companies like House Hold Credit Services who call to disturb you. Anyways, do let us know what happens next week when you raise the issue in front of the HSBC bank

I would like to hear from you about this case.
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Sat, 03/26/2005 - 09:32

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

like most americans these days our cell phone has now replaced our land line based phones. i wondered when i would get some kind or harassing sales calls or something of the sort. but for someone to not get help from someone constantly calling the wrong number is crazy. i think this would slow down production for this collection company and they would want to make the least calls possible. its only economical. i would see about blocking that number. call your phones service provider and see about number blocking . the only problem would be if this collector has a huge phone number base and the last 4 digits change from call to call.

Submitted by puchodog on Sat, 03/26/2005 - 15:08

puchodog

( Posts: 58 | Credits: )

Very right, these people are wasting their resources unnecessary.

Submitted by simon on Mon, 03/28/2005 - 21:01

simon

( Posts: 307 | Credits: )

I too am getting those calls,
from a new cell phone.
so basically I faxed a letter to WCC asking to be removed,
and filed an online complaint with the FCC.

US Mail Address
wilshire credit corporation
PO Box 8517
Portland, OR 97207

wfsg.com/contactus/contactus.aspx

FCC complaint form

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

oh well

[color=red][size=2][Link made inactive - Vikas][/size][/color]

Submitted by on Tue, 03/29/2005 - 13:49

I did a Google search for a number that keeps calling my cell and I got this forum!! Same situation as the first guy!

Submitted by on Fri, 04/01/2005 - 07:56

ok got those calls too

just call sallie mae directly and tell them to remove your phone number from the borrower's files...basically tell them they have the wrong number
they were very nice about it and apologized...
wcc is a agency they use to make these calls.

888 2 sallie
or 888 272 5543

if they ask you for the person's social security # just hold until they transfer you...

hope it helps

Submitted by on Fri, 04/01/2005 - 08:54

Calling without your permission is against law, talk to them in straight words and give them a clear picture. Also have a look at the laws to threaten them against violation of rights.

Take Care
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Fri, 04/01/2005 - 09:41

Vikas

I also am getting these calls. They NEVER leave a message--but what is wierd is that Iget these calls every single day!!!

Submitted by on Fri, 04/01/2005 - 09:43

Hi Chichi

If these calls become unnecessary, then take legal actions against them. At least the law will prove to be of some help.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 04/08/2005 - 09:36

roxette

For all of you who have continuosly been harrassed by wilshire credit corporation, please know they are now owned by Merrill Lynch. Please report this to the better business bureau, the Oregon State Attorney General, and call the code of ethics hot line for Merrill Lynch at 1-866-654-7411. You can also put your concerns in writing to Merrill Lynch, Ethics Hotline, PO Box 1008, New York, NY 10268.

Wilshire Credit Corporation has a long history of violations concerning Fair Debt Collection Practices, and unethical conduct--ask the teamsters union who lost their pension funds due to the Wilshire Credit Corporation, Capitol Consultants fiasco. Check with the employees and find out why payments are held for several days, sometimes weeks before being posted--

Find out why the employees are leaving in droves now--the main number for Wilshire Credit Corporation is 1-888-917-1050--you will get a machine but if you are patient you should reach an operator--or hit the number 1--then an extension, such as 7881, 7597, 7197--or direct dial locally to 503-525-7257. I hope this helps all of you out there, and good luck! Just type in Wilshire Credit Corporation on the web and you can research the very troubled company.

Submitted by on Fri, 04/08/2005 - 20:37

Sounds like this section ?? 805. Communication in connection with debt collection [15 USC 1692c]

and most certainly this section:

?? 808. Unfair practices [15 USC 1692f]
===============================================
A debt collector may not use unfair or unconscionable means to collect or attempt to collect any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:

(1) The collection of any amount (including any interest, fee, charge, or expense incidental to the principal obligation) unless such amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law.

(2) The acceptance by a debt collector from any person of a check or other payment instrument postdated by more than five days unless such person is notified in writing of the debt collector's intent to deposit such check or instrument not more than ten nor less than three business days prior to such deposit.

(3) The solicitation by a debt collector of any postdated check or other postdated payment instrument for the purpose of threatening or instituting criminal prosecution.

(4) Depositing or threatening to deposit any postdated check or other postdated payment instrument prior to the date on such check or instrument.

(5) Causing charges to be made to any person for communications by concealment of the true propose of the communication. Such charges include, but are not limited to, collect telephone calls and telegram fees.

(6) Taking or threatening to take any nonjudicial action to effect dispossession or disablement of property if --

(A) there is no present right to possession of the property claimed as collateral through an enforceable security interest;

(B) there is no present intention to take possession of the property; or

(C) the property is exempt by law from such dispossession or disablement.

(7) Communicating with a consumer regarding a debt by post card.

(8) Using any language or symbol, other than the debt collector's address, on any envelope when communicating with a consumer by use of the mails or by telegram, except that a debt collector may use his business name if such name does not indicate that he is in the debt collection business.
================================

Calling you on a cell phone is forcing you to "accept" charges on their communications, as a cell call is charged to the owner of the phone by a subtraction of time they have paided for or is paying for. Thus by calling you on your cell pphone they are incuring no cost and every call they make to you and you answer it and/or they leave voice mail you get charged.

make a copy of your cell bill showing those incoming numbers, record the total cost (even if during your "free" time those calls have cost").

Send them a C&D letter and a bill to recover the use of your cell time, and a copy of that section of the fdcpa, stating that you reserve the right to protect your Civil Rights, and they have violated them by not observing the conventions of the FDCPA.

If they actually pay you all the better :P, but I bet at least the calls to that cell phone will cease. In keep your Documentaion for later use as you can sue if it becomes needed up to one year from the alleged violation took place.

Jerry

Submitted by jtucker on Sat, 04/09/2005 - 07:40

jtucker

( Posts: 114 | Credits: )

Quote:

For all of you who have continuosly been harrassed by wilshire credit corporation, please know they are now owned by Merrill Lynch. Please report this to the better business bureau, the Oregon State Attorney General, and call the code of ethics hot line for Merrill Lynch at 1-866-654-7411. You can also put your concerns in writing to Merrill Lynch, Ethics Hotline, PO Box 1008, New York, NY 10268.

Welcome to the forums, we have a section called creditor's database. We request all our members and guests to update the sections at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/creditors/ with such information. This will be of a great help.

Thanks again for such useful information.

Regards
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Sat, 04/09/2005 - 10:31

Vikas

This is who is calling you:

Sallie Mae Wcc
10450 W Charleston Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89135-1035
Phone: (702) 804-8437

They are a student loan collection agency. Call the main number above and tell them your story. Theoretically you will be purged from their system.

Submitted by on Thu, 04/21/2005 - 08:18

Have you straightened out the situation? Since they are always asking for the same person, I would suggest that you actually say, "yes I am Sara." Then they will start their spiel about the student loans that you owe. This will keep them on the phone long enough for you to explain to them the law of harassing a non-debtor. And this will also give you enough time to tell them who you really are. I hope one of our suggestions work.

Submitted by benjaminz6 on Sat, 04/23/2005 - 16:49

benjaminz6

( Posts: 256 | Credits: )

Before you run around the internet slandering companies, you should get your information correct! I work for wilshire credit corporation and can tell vladrek that we do not have a call center located in Nevada. Therefore, it cannot be Wilshire that is "harrassing" you. Get over it!! Or change your cell phone # if it bugs you that much.

Submitted by on Tue, 04/26/2005 - 23:02

Hi everybody

One of the guest whatever (I guess he should have used his code name instead) pointed out to vladrek that WCC is not the company that is actually calling him, since it does not have its call center in Nevada. Over here, I can suggest both of them to come online in the chat room together so that much of their problem gets solved and get some scope for clearing their doubts.

Roxette :D

Submitted by roxette on Wed, 04/27/2005 - 10:24

roxette

I have been receiving tons of calls from this number too. When I call it back, I just get a busy number. Last time when I spoke with this company, they told me it was for medical collections and that they could take a payment over the phone. I requested proof of the past due amount, after speaking with Supervisors and head business services,etc. I yet have not received any proof. Due to identity theft, I will not make any types of payments again without proof. If the company would leave accurate contact information (or at least a message) where I could speak with them, maybe the amount "owed" would be taken care of.

Submitted by on Wed, 05/04/2005 - 07:45

HI chitchat_annie

I appreciate your decision. This is just the perfect move that you need to make from your side. Also, I will suggest you to have your latest credit report from the bureaus so that you can design your payments. It will be much more comfortable after you know your liabilities. When you deal with any company, make sure that each and every correspondence is in written and not in verbal because verbal correspondence will not benefit you in anyway. Instead it will harm you in the future.

Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Thu, 05/05/2005 - 12:42

roxette

Hey "whatever", you say WCC doesn't have a location in NV but if you look up the area code 702, you'll see NV as the area. So who the hell are you "whatever"... or should we all say "Whatever... whatever." I'm getting the same calls and I shouldn't have to change my number and I'm not getting over sh**.

Submitted by on Wed, 05/11/2005 - 09:42

[quote=chitchat_annie]I have been receiving tons of calls from this number too. When I call it back, I just get a busy number. Last time when I spoke with this company, they told me it was for medical collections and that they could take a payment over the phone. I requested proof of the past due amount, after speaking with Supervisors and head business services,etc. I yet have not received any proof. Due to identity theft, I will not make any types of payments again without proof. If the company would leave accurate contact information (or at least a message) where I could speak with them, maybe the amount "owed" would be taken care of.[/quote]

If it is for medical Collections send them a "LIMITED" debt validation Letter...

Limited mening not to ask for too much detail...but the amount of the debt, the Original Creditor and their Phone/Address, and the Origianal account Number. If you ask for too much detail you just might get back a bunch of Private Medical Data you not want just anyone seeing/looking at.

THEN after receiving that, contact the Medical Creditor and find out if you have the "Origianal" amopunt verified correctly....send them a Money order for the WHOLE amount (to the Health Care Provider not the CA).

I will later on create a thread on how I have been taking care of my Medical Collections and getting the removed...

Jerry

Submitted by jtucker on Wed, 05/11/2005 - 13:17

jtucker

( Posts: 114 | Credits: )

:shock: i had someone in recovery from hibernia cal me @ home. i tape our conversation handed it over to the sheriffs department -called his immediate supervisor- and literally let him know i could be a ****!!

[color=Red]****Adult term removed - Jason[/color]

Submitted by fishing_jogging on Fri, 05/13/2005 - 08:21

fishing_jogging

( Posts: 3 | Credits: )

[quote=anotherguy]I did a Google search for a number that keeps calling my cell and I got this forum!! Same situation as the first guy![/quote]

I have been dealing with these people since January. I am beginning to see a pattern and possible class action suit. I'm an attorney and I cannot get rid of them so I venture to think there are hundreds or thousands of folks across the country with the same problem.

I've complained to Sallie Mae (sent a letter to their Chief Fin'l Officer) and the FTC and AG. Sallie Mae supplied a vague response to both agencies. Two months later the calls continued. I sent another letter. Each time telling the callers we are not the person they are looking for (we've had the number for 14 years so it isn't a mistake) and to cease calling us. They've violated numerous federal and state laws.

I'd like to know who else is having problems getting them to stop.

KC

Submitted by on Sun, 05/15/2005 - 12:24

[quote=anotherguy]I did a Google search for a number that keeps calling my cell and I got this forum!! Same situation as the first guy![/quote]
Same here! They've called 7 times today and nothing I do helps, its past vexing. I will definantly be contacting the FCC.

Submitted by on Wed, 05/18/2005 - 16:53

HI Guest

There is one more way of handling this situation. You can convince the person who tries to contact you from that company and make him realize that he is contacting the wrong person. There is a communication gap which needs to be bridged.

If that does not work, then you can file a case against them and if they lose, you will be compensated for the harassment by that company.

Please let us know the result and keep posting your valuable suggestions.

Thanks
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Wed, 05/18/2005 - 17:14

roxette

[quote=wccannoyed]ok got those calls too

just call sallie mae directly and tell them to remove your phone number from the borrower's files...basically tell them they have the wrong number
they were very nice about it and apologized...
wcc is a agency they use to make these calls.

888 2 sallie
or 888 272 5543

if they ask you for the person's social security # just hold until they transfer you...

hope it helps[/quote]

I tried this a couple months ago...but now it's happening all over again!!!!

Submitted by on Mon, 05/23/2005 - 09:20

Hi AB
It is strange to find that after you have been harassed so many times, you did not call the police. Please contact your nearest police station for help.You can also take the help of FTC(Federal Trade Commission). Hope this will help you to get rid of the problem.

Regards,
Peter

Submitted by peter on Tue, 05/24/2005 - 00:19

peter

( Posts: 285 | Credits: )

this number belongs to salie mae, as one of the earlier members had mentioned. That was very useful! Thanks! just call 888-272-5543, and they will usually immediately put an end to these calls!

Submitted by on Thu, 06/16/2005 - 14:41

Whisleblower - best advise yet. I can't believe how many times the 702-804-8484 calls. Once I answered, I didn't even hear what they asked other than verifying my address and listed an address over four years ago. I got completely fed up with them calling three times a day and I left them a voicemail tonight, I guess I will keep calling the company until they get tired of it and remove me.

Submitted by on Thu, 06/16/2005 - 19:36

Hi KC24

Welcome to the forums. You can also send them a written notice stating that you don't wish to interact with them. Once they get a written notice from you, they are required to stop all modes of communication with you. However, if they are calling to recover any past debt from you, please send them a debt validation letter to know the origin of the debt for which they are making the claim.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/validation.html

If they can validate the debt, please ask them to make future correspondence with your attorney only as he has been assigned for the purpose.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 06/17/2005 - 13:36

roxette

For the past two weeks I have received, three times a day, a recorded message directing me to call 866-851-9593. The message provides no information as to the nature of the call, except to say it is not telemarketing, and does not provide the name of the company.

I ignored these people until I had enough and called the number. I discovered the calls are from Sallie Mae student loans. I informed them I had no business dealing with them; and asked them to remove my name from their list. I also asked them what the reasoning behind calling someone and having a recorded message, which does not identify them or the nature of the call. Their response, we do this so people call us.

I provided them my phone number, after a minute or so, the person tells me she can not find my number. I asked with that meant. She informs me it means she could not remove my number without an account number. I again explained to her I do not have an account with Sallie Mae. She again says she needs an account number from me. I asked her if that seemed reasonable to her. She tells me there is nothing she can or will do. I then ask her does this mean must I live with the calls from Sallie Mae. She says I have no choice and hangs up.

I repeated the same request with several more people, supervisors included, over the past few days. I have called them 10-15 times. They refuse to provide a mailing address, fax number or any other information so I can write them. Their website does not provide a direct method of contacting them about a problem The only response I have received was a phone call from someone voicing her displeasure in the voice mail I left. I am polite to these people and get nowhere. I leave a nasty message, including the number I demand they remove, and I get a call back expressing their displeasure about my voice mail.

Sallie Mae engages in conduct that deliberately harasses anyone unfortunate enough have a phone number they have in there system. In their collective minds a person would not be in their system unless they should be.

I have filed a complaint with the FCC. And requested a phone number change from my phone company.

My recommendation to resolve these kinds of calls. Call one or two times and ask them to stop. Get names of people spoken to, these people often use first name, if real ones at all. Keep a log of the dates, times, number (s) called from, some of these people will have the number blocked. Do not waste your time and energy trying find the sweet spot of someone's backside so they treat you with respect. If they ignore you file a complaint with the FCC and seek damages in court.

RP

Submitted by on Sat, 07/02/2005 - 19:09

Hi rp

Welcome to the forums. You can contact the Sallie Mae student loans at the following address.

Sallie Mae
11600 Sallie Mae Drive,
Reston, VA 20193

I believe Sallie Mae should have a legitimate reason for calling you up. If not, you should take action against them for violating the law.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Mon, 07/04/2005 - 10:33

roxette

I'd be happy to take part in a class action suite.
I've already told one operator that I would sue them personally.

if this thing sees the light of day feel happy to email me.

[quote=careyleglaw][quote=anotherguy]I did a Google search for a number that keeps calling my cell and I got this forum!! Same situation as the first guy![/quote]

I have been dealing with these people since January. I am beginning to see a pattern and possible class action suit. I'm an attorney and I cannot get rid of them so I venture to think there are hundreds or thousands of folks across the country with the same problem.

I've complained to Sallie Mae (sent a letter to their Chief Fin'l Officer) and the FTC and AG. Sallie Mae supplied a vague response to both agencies. Two months later the calls continued. I sent another letter. Each time telling the callers we are not the person they are looking for (we've had the number for 14 years so it isn't a mistake) and to cease calling us. They've violated numerous federal and state laws.

I'd like to know who else is having problems getting them to stop.

KC[/quote]

[color=red][size=2][Email id removed as per TOS - Mike][/size][/color]

Submitted by on Wed, 07/06/2005 - 21:10

Hi wcc annoyed

Welcome to the forums. You can share your experience with the collection agencies on the board so that our community members will be taking preventive steps to fight against the obnoxious attitudes of such people.

Also, you can lodge a complaint in the FTC, or with the state attorney general office for immediate action. They will conduct an investigation and stop all illegal acts from flourishing in the market.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Thu, 07/07/2005 - 13:26

roxette

So i've read a few posts, and it seems a lot of people are having the same problem. I'm a sr in HS and at the very end of my jr year that dumb 702 # started calling. First just 1 time a day, then progressing, so that by the time finals came around i have a hard time studying cause the phone was ringing off the hook! After that, my grandma came down to visit and when they called we told he not to pick it up, but she didn't listen, picked it up and hung up on them with out talking to them. With in minutes, they called back and haven't stopped. Within a few hours they call about 7 to 10 times, i swear. In the fall when i go back to school 3 out of the 5 classes i'm taking are either AP or advanced, and i'm slightly worried that i might see a couple points drop off of my GPA if i can't get a little more peace and quiet.

Does anyone know how you can get them to stop calling so my head doesn't start ringing from all their calls?

Submitted by on Fri, 07/22/2005 - 20:05

Hi folks

I just did a search on the number listed and came up with this forumn. Like others I have recieved several calls from sallie mae and thought it was a relative to my cousin Annie mae (just joking). I dont answer 1888 numbers or anyother number from a area code i have no dealings with. I also screen calls which enables me to speak with whom I choose-Just like annoying exs'But if at one point you had/have someone living with you, who used your phone number for a student loan this may be the reason why you continue to recieve these calls.

Submitted by on Tue, 08/02/2005 - 11:54

You can stop these calls by sending a letter through certified mail and inform them that you do not wish to communicate with them. You are aware of your consumer rights as per the fdcpa law and calling repeatedly without any specific reason will be a violation of the law.

If they are insisting for some debt, then they are required to validate it first as you have the legal rights to know the details of your debt.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/validation.html

After sending the validation letter and urging them to stop communication, they are most likely required to halt. If they continue with their unfair practices, you can take legal help of your attorney and file a case against them up to $1000 under Consumer Protection afforded by the FDCPA (Section 809 b)

Submitted by ben on Tue, 08/02/2005 - 15:34

ben

( Posts: 2034 | Credits: )

And on my cell phone just like you! they call at least once a week.i never pick up because i'm paying for my minutes (i'm 13 by the way, i'm not wasting what little money i have). but since they're calling you too i think next time i'll pick up and have a word with them. i signed up for the national do not call list but i guess i'm not on yet.

Submitted by on Fri, 08/05/2005 - 11:45

Celia- You should take preventive steps by sending a written notice that you refuse to pay any of the debts until it has been validated.

Also, refuse to communicate with them thorough phone otherwise it will be a violation of the fdcpa law. Make sure that you send your written notice through certified mail with return receipt requested.

They are required to stop further communication otherwise you will be forced to take legal action against them. I guess they will stop there.

Submitted by ben on Fri, 08/05/2005 - 15:35

ben

( Posts: 2034 | Credits: )

Every think to verify some of your info (like date of birth, last 4 of social sec # to have the # be removed? If you don't answer or verify info, don't you think that looks like your the borrower they are trying to reach??? Per my understanding FFELP loans are not mandated by fdcpa, and also the do not call list is for solicitation not on collection. Sallie Mae is a private company they are no longer under the DOE guidelines.

Submitted by on Wed, 08/10/2005 - 21:07