Skip to main content
index page

Asset Acceptance LLC complaints: How to deal with the CA

Submitted by on Mon, 08/01/2005 - 15:37
Credits:
[Donate]

So far I filed Asset Acceptance LLC complaints with the BBC and the FTC, but her is my story as short as I can make it.
In the beginning of June I received an Asset Acceptance collections letter stating they would meet me dollar for dollar on my credit card debt, so my girlfriend called the company and explained to them that this sounds like a good idea. Chris Sutton the representative handling the case said I needed $100 as intent to cooperate. So my girlfriend used her bank account to pay the $100 to get me going, Chris explained that I must pay $773.80 starting next month for 3 months. July came along and I received a letter stating they would be depositing $773.80 to their account from my girlfriends account. This was not authorized by her or me. So I called them and spoke to a representative named Marva who was filling in for Chris Sutton, I explained to her that I do not have the funds at this time and that we did not autorized any automatic transactions from my girlfriends account. Marva explained that they do not take the funds directly out of the account and that the letter should have been worded better. Happy with this answer I ended the call. Two weeks later we noticed the amount of $773.80 was take from my girlfriends account by Asset Acceptance without authorization. So I called on 8/1/2005 and was told by a supervisor Robert (Bob) Mills that they will not give me my money back after explaining that they took it from my girlfriends account without authorization, and that his representatives told me it would be directly taken out of her account. At this time I asked for the two recordings of the conversation he than stated their are none. So I asked how could he possibly know what was said from the representative without a recorded conversation which the representatives told me was being recorded.
So now my girlfriend is out of $773.80 of her hard earned money because of tactics used by this company. All I want is her money returned back to her account but I dont know where to begin to fight this. Asset Acceptance supervisor pretty much acted like We won you lost get over it bye!
Help me!

Hi DMVinny

Welcome to the forums. It is clearly evident that the Asset Acceptance has withdrawn the money from your girlfriend's account without authorizing them for this purpose. Also, if it is your debt account, then the money has to be taken from your account and not your girlfriend's account.

They need to inform you about each and every step before they commit any action. Clearly, it is a violation of the law and you should take legal help of your attorney.
You should file a case against Asset Acceptance and the bank who have let the money go into their account without informing you.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Mon, 08/01/2005 - 16:06

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

Hey DMVinny,
Is this even a real company or are the scammers?? I got a collection notice from them that I refused to pay because I was completely unaware I owed this. I havent heard back from them although this debt does show up on my credit score. Luckily its not enough to hurt it. But i was wondering if this was a real collection agency or if it is an asset acceptance scam? Anyone know? Thanks.

Submitted by on Mon, 08/08/2005 - 16:52

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Sugarzee - Asset Acceptance LLC collection agency is mostly involved in unfair practices while recovering the debts from the consumers.
Since it is appearing in your credit report, please obtain a credit report from the other two bureaus also and confirm this entry. You can dispute with the credit bureau reporting this entry. They will conduct an investigation and inform you after the change is done with a free copy of your credit report.
If proper steps have not been taken right now regarding the removal of this entry, it will hurt your credit file in the long run. Hope that you will do the needful for retaining your credit ratings.

Submitted by ben on Mon, 08/08/2005 - 17:00

ben

( Posts: 2034 | Credits: )

I am cuurently in a dispute with this collection agency myself because they purchased a fraud account from Ameritech and slapped my name on it for the third time. I filled out a fraud affidavit in 2002 and this debt was wiped from my credit report, and now it is there again. I even have a letter from Ameritech stating that they concluded this was not my debt and they apologize for any inconvenience. When I called Asset Acceptance they want to get an attitude and speak to me like I don't want to pay this debt! Damn right I am not paying, hell it's not mine!

Submitted by on Tue, 08/23/2005 - 11:12

Hi Micky

Welcome to the debt consolidation Care forums. You should write a letter to Asset Acceptance explaining this matter along with the photocopy of the letter from your creditors.

Once, a negative information is removed from your credit report, it cannot be put back again. Since the collection agency is trying to put the information back again, you should deal with it strongly and take legal help if required.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Tue, 08/23/2005 - 11:58

roxette

I am writing because I have never received a letter or bill or anything from asset acceptance llc but a debt from them appeard on my credit report. I would like to request validation of the debt but from what I am reading it appears it would be a wasted effort. I believe it is an old bill from SBC and have no problems paying it but I want to make sure if I send them the money that it is resolves the debt. Any suggestions. I have never received a bill or statement so I have no account number or anything

Submitted by on Sat, 08/27/2005 - 09:54

Is anyone going to respond with some advice on how to settle this. I never received anything from this company, how do I dispute it if I have nothing from them, just a black mark on my credit report.

Submitted by on Fri, 09/02/2005 - 06:55

Hi Wtf,

Welcome to the forums. I understand that you are not aware of the information that is appearing in your credit report. Since negative information appearing in your credit file can hurt you file in the long run.

You can compare your report with the other two bureaus and dispute with the one that is highlighting the entry requesting verification. The credit bureau will conduct verification with the information providers and update your file if your dispute is found to be legitimate.

You can also dispute with the creditors asking for verification and get the negative information removed from your credit file if it has been wrongly placed.

Make sure that you do all your correspondence in writing so that you can track it later. Send your letter through certified mail with return receipt requested.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 09/02/2005 - 11:50

roxette

dear wtf, i have spent the last few months clearing up my husbands credit and the rest of mine. if it is SBC you can pay sbc directly then you feel safer also dispute the asset acceptance on your credit report as paid in full, they will find it paid and correct your file. easy as 1,2,3. :) hope this helps

Submitted by on Fri, 09/09/2005 - 15:41

After receiving a letter from this company today, saying I owed a company that they bought almost $2500.00. I decided to research the company and ended up here on your sight... I have no idea who this company is or how they got my name... they say they bought a company named fingerhut, I have never heard of them. After calling fingerhut, they determined that I did not have an account with them. I called this company back and asked for proof.. a name and shipping address... I told them somebody must be useing my name .... and they told me... Thats your problem... we don't supply proof, but we will supply the credit bureau with a report if you do not pay this debt... I have no idea how to handle this...

Submitted by on Sat, 09/17/2005 - 16:08

Hi
Asset Acceptance is a debt collection agency involved in purchasing long time outstanding debts from the creditors and thereby recovering from the creditors. During this process, they get involved in too many malicious activities and end up on a very bad note.
You will get more introductions about the said company in this forum. Just do a search in this website about Asset and know the latest.
Ask the collection in legal writing to validate the debt before you arrange for any payment plan with them. Please go the page given below to know more about debt collection' legal restrictions.
http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/fdcpa.html
Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Sat, 09/17/2005 - 16:30

roxette

Ok... I read the website. first let me make clear that I did not incur this debt. I have no idea about this debt, but suspect it may have been my ex-husband using my ss number to get credit. However after reading the website that you directed me to, it seems asset aceptance have broked all the rules. Not only did they threaten to attach my checking account, take my house, and make it impossible for me to find a job anywhere, but they also said they would contact all the credit bureaus and I would never have credit again. They said I was a deadbeat who never pays my bills... I guess they would have known that was not true if they bothered to check the credit bureau. I am furious that they can treat people this way. But aside from that, I am more afraid that someone has used my personal info to obtain credit and will now ruin my good rating.... Thank you for the website... it was very helpful.

Submitted by on Sat, 09/17/2005 - 20:09

Hi
Since your identification details are open for misusing your credit, you should contact the Fraud department of the three bureaus and inform them about the possibility of the identity theft. Your information will be shared within the three bureaus and a ???Fraud alert' will be placed on your credit file within 24 hrs. During this time, the creditors will not issue new credit in your name unless you permit them to do so. Although most of the creditors are ignorant to these alerts, you should be vigilant for any new accounts. Attaching a "victim's statement" is also helpful.
You should also file a local police report in the area where this event took place. Keep everything documented so that you can track it later.
As per the FCRA, you can get all the illegal activities removed from your credit report. All the information which is believed to be in dispute can be explained to the credit bureaus. Attach a copy of the court's ruling and the police report to support your position so that you can prove your side of the story. Furnish your identification details to get deeper into the fact. Copies of the credit report if attached will also be beneficial. Send through CMRRR and record the serial number so that you are aware of the bureaus receiving your explanation.
The credit bureaus usually take 30 days to conduct an investigation with your information providers and verify the matter. If the information is found to be inaccurate, your credit file will be corrected and you will be sent a free copy of it.
You can also contact the creditors and inform them about the illegal activity that took place. Write your complaint describing the situation and send copies of the police report along with it.
I have brought this suggestion as a responsive step to your situation and you should always try to prevent these types of situations from happening.
Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Sun, 09/18/2005 - 06:00

roxette

my husband owns about $ 1700.00 to citibank. Asset Acceptance Corp. bought that account and started sending him letter to collect the total amount. Since he was not able to pay that amount they have send him an asset acceptance settlement agreement of $ 500.00 via fax, which has to be paid by 09/30/05 otherwise this offer will be null and void. They were trying to collect that money by phone. I got scared, that they might collect more then the amount we had agreed to. Also once we pay that amount will citibank take it out of his credit report?

Submitted by on Sat, 09/24/2005 - 09:44

I Just received a copy of my report, found asset acceptance llc on it. Who and What are they anyway?

I have something for a couple of thousand placed on my report when I was out of the country the whole time. Have anyone gotten anywhere with this company?

What results have you gotten and how did you achieve this?

I'll wait for an answer before doing anything. i am out raged at what I have read on this site, I was actually looking for their number and stumbled here.

Okay, thank God i didn't call them. they might have been trying to collect my information-just try to intimidate me.

Thanks everyone, and good luck!

Submitted by on Sat, 09/24/2005 - 10:33

What these collection agencies do is buy charged off accounts from other companies. They then try to collect these debts. They send collection letters to almost anyone who has the same name as the original debtor and hope one (or more) of them will bite on the offer to pay less than the original debt. They buy these for pennies on the dollar. If you get one of these letters, send them a request for validation of the debt by certified mail return receipt requested. You can track the delivery of the letter online. This is what I did. And I have a paper trail in case they sue for payment.

Submitted by on Sun, 09/25/2005 - 19:00

Hi Sab

Quote:

my husband owns about $ 1700.00 to Citibank. Asset Acceptance bought that account and started sending him letter to collect the total amount. Since he was not able to pay that amount they have send him a settlement agreement of $ 500.00 via fax, which has to be paid by 09/30/05 otherwise this offer will be null and void. They were trying to collect that money by phone. I got scared, that they might collect more then the amount we had agreed to. Also once we pay that amount will citibank take it out of his credit report?

It sounds completely fishy to me when they urge you to make the payment over fax and that also without giving the necessary information about the debt.

Even if you pay the amount, I assume it will not go to your debt account. When you will ask them to prove it later, they may have their story prepared saying that you have not paid them anything.

Asset Acceptance is one of those collection agencies that is practicing illegal business and has lots of consumer complaints filed at the BBB.

Ask them to validate the debt so that you have the necessary information about it before you finalize paying to them.

If you are willing pay the debt and requesting for the necessary information, there is not much action that can be taken against you.

If you have any problems, just let us know.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Mon, 09/26/2005 - 13:08

roxette

I have an experience similar to sab. I owed Providian $1200 and Asset Acceptance sent me a letter saying they would dismiss my debt for $480. I paid it several months ago, but have not received any receipt or evidence that I paid. They also said that they would inform the credit bureaus. I have no idea if they did this. Has anyone successfully resolved a debt with these people, or did I throw away my money?

Submitted by on Sat, 10/01/2005 - 16:38

Hi Mel

Welcome to the forums.

It was necessary to insist for a receipt immediately after you made the payment to the agency. Also, a written document stating that your file will be updated with the bureaus would have been powerful to prove your efforts made.

However, you should again send a letter to them asking to update your credit file with the bureaus. You can check your credit report to see the latest standing of the said account.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Sat, 10/01/2005 - 18:12

roxette

I just checked my report and the asset acceptance debt shows up as paid with a $0 balance. So, hopefully they did what they were supposed to.

Submitted by on Sat, 10/01/2005 - 20:49

Asset Acceptance purchased a debt from Providian for a visa that i charged up all kinds of things when I was 18. I am 21 now and just bought a house. When i called them to get this taken care of not only were they respectful but helpful as well. I was able to work out a settlement instead of owing the balance. I sent the entire settlement by Moneygram and that afternoon received a zero-balance letter stating the debt was paid. They also reported the debt to all three major credit bureau as paid in full.

Submitted by on Sat, 10/08/2005 - 17:36

Well, if you do an authorization over the phone they are going to take the full amount out of your account so please don't give them your account information. I have experience that. So I have had two more account from them add to credit report from them. I don't know where these accounts are coming from so. I will have to find out after I dispute them and launch a fraud alerts.....

Submitted by on Mon, 10/10/2005 - 17:29

Jay, it's still showing on your credit report as a paid collection. When you go into a agreement with them have the to remove it once payment is made. Get it in writing first.

Submitted by on Mon, 10/10/2005 - 17:32

Quote:
my husband owns about $ 1700.00 to Citibank. Asset Acceptance bought that account and started sending him letter to collect the total amount. Since he was not able to pay that amount they have send him a settlement agreement of $ 500.00 via fax, which has to be paid by 09/30/05 otherwise this offer will be null and void. They were trying to collect that money by phone. I got scared, that they might collect more then the amount we had agreed to. Also once we pay that amount will citibank take it out of his credit report?

Same thing here, I did not pay. They have called myself and even gone as far to call my aging parents to try to confirm my location and SS#.

Submitted by Cindycrable on Tue, 10/11/2005 - 09:09

Cindycrable

( Posts: 18 | Credits: )

Asset Acceptance is always using nasty tricks while collecting debt from the consumers. Sometimes, they purchase junk debts of the consumers and try to earn money from that bulk. They just want to harass people and earn money illegally.

We need to spread the word so that many innocent people have the courage to face them and don't get intimidated. I have never heard that Asset Acceptance has sued anyone in the past. They just can't do business legally.

Submitted by ben on Tue, 10/11/2005 - 12:17

ben

Cindycrable

As per the fdcpa law, a collection agency can contact a third party that can be anyone except you only once in order to locate you. They are not supposed to call them repeatedly and give information about your debt.

In your situation, since they have been trying to call your parents repeatedly, it is a violation of the stated laws. But, it seems that a company doing illegal business does not seem to care about the federal laws.

Many consumers have repeated complaints against this company in this website. You will find loads of information if you search for asset acceptance in the search bar at the left hand side of the forums page at the bottom.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Tue, 10/11/2005 - 17:16

roxette

Quote: Jay, it's still showing on your credit report as a paid collection. When you go into a agreement with them have the to remove it once payment is made. Get it in writing first.

Thanks for your response Wayne and Roxette I have sinced pulled all three major credit reports and both have been updated as paid. Obviously it shows as a paid collection acct. because it was a collection acct. the important thing here is that it is reporting as paid in full. For every positive thing to say about something there is five people who have something negative to say. When i signed the contract for my visa i agreed to pay back any charges including interest, late fees, etc. If we as people keep relying on laws to save us from having to pay back debt we are going to be in serious trouble.......sounds to me like a lot of people are just trying to find ways around taking care of there obligations.

Submitted by on Sat, 11/05/2005 - 16:05

Jay

Your account has been updated as 'paid collection' and this is what you were aiming for. The collection agency has sent your money towards the debt account and now no other agency can claim for this account.

Your hard work has given you the positive results. Now, in the future, do not let your accounts go to collections. Try as far as possible to deal with the original creditors. The collection remark cannot be removed before the seven year reporting time and you can always aspire for better than this status.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Sat, 11/05/2005 - 16:16

roxette

Asset started reporting a debt that was from a corporate card that I never owed. The credit card company stopped reporting and asset somehow ended up with the info. They will report for a while and then stop. They stop reporting for ten months until recently. They also do this thing where they will report the debt as a medical collection for some reason but its not. I just want this to go away! any suggestions. someone suggested small claims court.

Submitted by on Fri, 11/11/2005 - 15:32

Hi BJ

Consumers have been constantly reporting about the illegal activities of Asset Acceptance. debt validation is the actual weapon which will give you the legal powers. Ask them to give you the complete details of the accounts with the calculation of interests on it. Along with it, they also need to provide proof that the creditors have authorized the said collection agency for collection.

If they are not able to furnish the complete details and call you, you have the legal rights under the Consumer Protection afforded by the fdcpa under Section 809 ( b ). Consult your attorney for this case and sue them up to $1000.

Submitted by ben on Sat, 11/12/2005 - 09:00

ben

I have not heard about any attorney specifically but I know that people have filed a case against them. Some of the cases have also got resolved while most are carried on dates.

I will suggest you to file a case if you are facing their illegal activities. You will have some evident proof that will say your side of the story if it ever takes legal shape later.

Submitted by ben on Mon, 11/14/2005 - 11:12

ben

is it better not to contact them at all if the debt is 20 years old

Submitted by on Wed, 11/16/2005 - 11:54

Kas,

Welcome to the forums.

It won't be the best move to avoid any of the collection calls. I will always suggest using your federal rights and handling the calls tactfully.

If you avoid the collection calls, the debt collector might put you in deeper problems. Read this page and know why it is necessary to dispute a debt even if it is 20 years old.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/forums/scarycollection.html

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Wed, 11/16/2005 - 12:28

roxette

I also received a notice for the amount of $1,146. When I called, the rep told me my ss# which I confirmed. She informed me that my name and soc. was used to open an account with SBC at an address that I never lived at. The rep has moved my case to their fraud department, but I too am leary of this company, so I have received a copy of my credit report and they are on their. I am also filing a police report, because I know the debt is not mine and I was told to send them a copy of this report. Do you think this will close my case? Just another note, I received this notice in October, but the amount in question was in 2002. No one has tried to contact me until now. What is up with that?

Submitted by on Thu, 11/17/2005 - 20:57

Hi

You should not have updated your SSN# with Asset Acceptance. They will always try to open new accounts in your name which they might have even done.

Your first move should be to contact the Social Security field office. There is no fee. Show the proof of your credit report and the account with SBC at an address where you never lived. Give a proof of your present address by which you can prove that you never lived at that place in 2002.

File your complaint at the police station and send this affidavit to the fraud department of the three bureaus. An alert will be placed in your credit file and you will be preventing further damages.

I understand that Asset Acceptance is using fraud means to collect money from you. Concentrate on how you can prevent this from further happening. After you have done all the legal formalities, file charges against Asset with the help of your lawyer. Contact the local attorney general office, FTC as well as the BBB. This is hard work, but I wish that you will manage with it.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 11/18/2005 - 11:51

roxette

I received your letter dated 6 Oct 2005. However I have no record of who initiated this original account. I am divorced and my ex-wife may have started this without my knowledge. I refuse to pay under this circumstance, I would like documents showing the establishment of the original acct: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Please contact me at [email]FredrickDearing@,msn.com[/email] in the future and do not call by phone. Thank you.

Submitted by on Fri, 11/18/2005 - 13:12

Hi Fredrick

We are not affiliated with asset acceptance llc. You are in one of the forum pages giving the consumers' feedback on Asset Acceptance.

Please directly contact the company at the following address:

ASSET ACCEPTANCE, LLC
28405 Van Dyke
Warren, MI 48093
Phone: (586) 939-9600
Fax: (586) 446-1803

Or,
Asset Acceptance LLC
10500 Heritage #200
San Antonio, TX 78216
Telephone: (210) 979-3600
Fax: (210) 979-3659

Regards
Mike

Submitted by Mike on Fri, 11/18/2005 - 13:57

Mike

( Posts: 1317 | Credits: )

I was just served papers from Asset Acceptance where they are taking me to court for something i dont think i did. i believe they have the wrong person on this one. I have never been contacted by them at all and they are collecting a debt for Household Credit and the only thing i have with Household is my house and i know that isnt being forclosed on lol. I have tried reaching them and they wont give me any answers. Any advice would be good.

Submitted by on Tue, 11/22/2005 - 16:26

angelblue_34205

Asset Acceptance must have printed their address in the letter that was sent to you. Send a debt validation letter to the company so that you can view the details of your accounts. As per the fdcpa law, the company has to give you the required documentation that you have requested.

You can refuse to be contacted by phone until the debt is accurately shown. If they are unable to give you any details and keep calling you or send you mail, you have the right to take legal actions against them. Samples of debt validation letter are kept in this forum.

Use your federal rights and keep a thorough check on your credit file regularly. You will be able to react immediately if they try to hurt your credit.

Submitted by ben on Tue, 11/22/2005 - 16:48

ben

I have tried to contact them and no return calls and now i have been served court papers for this debt that i dont know what it is. I have been told what you have said and all i can do is try to call them again and see if by chance they have the wrong person. I dont know what else to do outside of going to the court hearing without an attorney which i dont think would be very wise. thank you for your advice.

Submitted by on Wed, 11/23/2005 - 04:39

angelblue_34205

Hi, sorry to hear about the problems you are having in contacting the company. Do you have any proof that you have been making phone calls to them, such as a phone bill.

You have a right to ask for an extention in court if you'd an attorney to be present.

However, if this is not you, they need to prove otherwise. But you also need to be able to provide some proof as well. Bring with you to court, a witness if you have, proof of residency and work history for the last couple of years, and any necessary bank statements, other identifiable proof you are you. You will also need to make a police report if you haven't already.

Making the police report will show that you are without a doubt, disputing the charges and they are NOT valid. The police will launch their own investigation, and the court will either allow for the extention, or rule in favor of you.

Regards-
Mike

Submitted by Teleport on Wed, 11/23/2005 - 04:46

Teleport

( Posts: 1388 | Credits: )