Skip to main content
index page

Asset Acceptance LLC complaints: How to deal with the CA

Submitted by on Mon, 08/01/2005 - 15:37
Credits:
[Donate]

So far I filed Asset Acceptance LLC complaints with the BBC and the FTC, but her is my story as short as I can make it.
In the beginning of June I received an Asset Acceptance collections letter stating they would meet me dollar for dollar on my credit card debt, so my girlfriend called the company and explained to them that this sounds like a good idea. Chris Sutton the representative handling the case said I needed $100 as intent to cooperate. So my girlfriend used her bank account to pay the $100 to get me going, Chris explained that I must pay $773.80 starting next month for 3 months. July came along and I received a letter stating they would be depositing $773.80 to their account from my girlfriends account. This was not authorized by her or me. So I called them and spoke to a representative named Marva who was filling in for Chris Sutton, I explained to her that I do not have the funds at this time and that we did not autorized any automatic transactions from my girlfriends account. Marva explained that they do not take the funds directly out of the account and that the letter should have been worded better. Happy with this answer I ended the call. Two weeks later we noticed the amount of $773.80 was take from my girlfriends account by Asset Acceptance without authorization. So I called on 8/1/2005 and was told by a supervisor Robert (Bob) Mills that they will not give me my money back after explaining that they took it from my girlfriends account without authorization, and that his representatives told me it would be directly taken out of her account. At this time I asked for the two recordings of the conversation he than stated their are none. So I asked how could he possibly know what was said from the representative without a recorded conversation which the representatives told me was being recorded.
So now my girlfriend is out of $773.80 of her hard earned money because of tactics used by this company. All I want is her money returned back to her account but I dont know where to begin to fight this. Asset Acceptance supervisor pretty much acted like We won you lost get over it bye!
Help me!

I am now dealing with this company via a attorney. I will let everyone know what happens. There are statue of limitations on collecting a debt. Call your local Attorney Generals office. and complain complain complain maybe a office will take the case. Not my bill either.

Submitted by on Wed, 09/20/2006 - 16:12

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

asset acc bought an old debt of ours on a repo, does asset have any valid right to sue us, which is what they are doing

Submitted by on Tue, 10/03/2006 - 16:06

Hello, I was served papers today from Asset Acceptance for a credit card that was charged off in 2003. What is the statute of limitations on this? Do I really have to go to court and pay all of their legal fees in addition to the charged off amount? Please advise, court is just a few days away. Thank you.

Submitted by on Tue, 10/03/2006 - 20:18

I just found out that $13 has been on my account for a little over month now. just pennies... but i also just found out I have owed Wakefield & Associates $37 for over a year now... i guess. I haven't been contacted on either. Just pennies here so I don't deserve to bitch as much as the rest of you.... sounds great though... just let it out.

[color=Red]****Adult term removed - Jason[/color]

Submitted by on Wed, 10/11/2006 - 21:35

This is the follow up. I received a letter from asset they are closing the account and taking no further action. Keep everything in writing. Statue of limitations vary from state to state. Some consumer protection laws also prohibit them from collecting interest. Please call your local Attorney Generals office. Or go on the web page for your state. Some states have class action lawsuits against companies who unlawfully collect debts. and again keep everything in writing.

Submitted by on Tue, 10/17/2006 - 14:13

hi all. i just read most of this forum and i hope it doesn't get to the extremes - to the court - for me. i just received a letter from asset acceptance saying that i had claimed fraud for a debt and to provide proof of such. i called their number on the letter to see what is up. the debt is for citibank - which i KNOW i don't have any debts with, except for student loans which i have been paying every month so far. even my credit report is fine. and not to mention, asset acceptance had a middle name which i dont have, other than that, the first and last name are mine. so i called them and found it shady that there is no one to pick up the call and told me to leave a message. so i searched the name and found this site!

the information is a lot! i'm trying to absorb it all.

can anyone give me advice as to what i should ask them when i call them tomorrow? and what i should not say about myself?

i just remembered that my dad had a similar letter from them too! isn't that nuts? and the thing is, it's not even his name! only the last name is shared. is asset acceptance known for searching for names and just sending out random letters to all names that match or that are similar?

Submitted by on Tue, 10/17/2006 - 14:40

I was sued by Asset. They are having money garnished from my check at work. They claimed taht I owe 9,500.00. They went to court and file a claim on me and did not notify me.When I found out (through my employer of course)I called them to find out how is it that I was not aware of this law suit against me. The rep told me that they delivered a package to my address. I ask her to verify the address with me, she gave me an address that I lived at about 10 years ago, which was an apartment complex. She said someone took the package and told them that they knew me. Which was a lie. Now, if they file a suit to the court without notifying me, but claim they did. I will not know I should be in court and the Judge ruled in their favor. These people know that chances are you can't afford an attorney, which is why they do this and think that they can get away with it. Now they are taking out 300.00 every 2 weeks. leaving me with 48.00 to take care of my 2 young kids. Can you please tell me what I can do.

VERY UPSET

Please tell me what I need to do

Submitted by on Fri, 10/20/2006 - 19:59

I have a family member that is part of this company and I do not believe that this company is unfair as stated. I do know I will be getting heat about this, but there are some things that are not being explained properly. Asset Acceptance isn't the company you should be getting angry at. They get your bill amount from the company the smaller company and get paid upon collecting. I am not going to say that each collector is nice, b/c each has their own way of collecting. This company is a legit company and just want to collect the sum of money that is outstanding so they can be paid.

Submitted by on Sat, 10/28/2006 - 12:47

Concerned01, unfortunately there are some collectors who use illegal tactics to collect debt, it is unfortunate and they give the other collectors who work for the company a bad reputation. I'm sure your relative isn't one who uses such tactics, but like I said, unfortunately it is those collectors using the illegal tactics which make the rest look bad and make people not to want to even deal with them.

Submitted by WHEREAMI? on Sat, 10/28/2006 - 12:53

WHEREAMI?

( Posts: 5263 | Credits: )

Very upset, how do you know it's a lie? That someone signed for something meant for you at a previous address? Did you go over there and find out if that person signed something for you?

I'm sorry that it happened to you. My suggestion would be to call them and explain to them at how you are unable to afford to pay back the debt at the % they are garnishing your wages at. I forgot what it is called but they can send you some papers and you fill them out and send them back copies of your bills ect to show that you are unable to provide at this % to get it reduced. I don't know if they legaly have to do that but it's worth a try.

Submitted by FYI on Sat, 10/28/2006 - 15:09

FYI

( Posts: 1950 | Credits: )

who is Asset Acceptance? What do they do, I have a garnishment taken out of my check and all I am getting is the run around; nobody can tell me who it is or what it is for. I don't even know what its for.... I'm frusturated and very P.O. What do I do at this point?!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!

Submitted by on Wed, 11/01/2006 - 16:22

You are saying you don't know about the garnishment done by Asset Acceptance. They are a collection agency and it sounds that they have got a judgment against you. If you dispute the accuracy, contact the CA in writing and ask them to verify it. Send a copy of your dispute letter to the credit bureau so that they can also do their investigations with the CA

Submitted by aciotsf on Wed, 11/01/2006 - 16:29

aciotsf

( Posts: 511 | Credits: )

I checked my credit report and there are a few things there. One is asset accept of less than 300$. I know that was on of my debts and I would like to contact them in order to pay it off. I don't know if they will work out a payment plan or not but since I saw this add I thought I might ask you what I should do..Thanks for your time.

Submitted by on Tue, 11/28/2006 - 14:40

Regarding your debt, the debt of last activity in this account is 12/2000. In which state did this account originate? I wonder it might be out of the SOL period. On such circumstances you can't be forced to pay it and can't be brought under any legal actions.

If an account has reached SOL does CRA have to remove it from your CR?

Submitted by on Thu, 11/30/2006 - 09:05

Go to FairDebdtCollections.com and you will find all the info you need to dispute and stop these collection actions, including sample letters. It worked for me.

Submitted by on Mon, 12/04/2006 - 15:50

I have had several letters from same company come to my house for $934.68 but could be paid in full for $467.34. first of all they do not say what it was for
and second of all the name on it is not mine and i do not know the person. They must really think some people are super foolish.

Submitted by on Fri, 12/08/2006 - 04:58

Hello everyone. My dad recieved a letter from Asset Acceptance stating that he owes $6,637 dollars from a Home Depot/Citibank account. But my dad has never opened a Home Depot account.

I wrote to them and requested a validation of the debt. I received a letter and it has the account number and my dad's SS# with his phone and home address. It stated the date of the last transaction which was in 2004.

No other information was provided. Like a copy of a signed credit application or itemizations.

We also looked up my dad's credit history report and there is no Home Depot or Citibank account on it at all.

What should I do now? Should I call Home Depot Credit sevices and see if I can get information on the account?
I know nowadays some people can even look up your SS#, so I wouldn't be surprised if Asset obtained my dad's SS#.

Submitted by on Sat, 12/09/2006 - 10:09

WhatNow

Certainly! You should get the debt validated by Asset Acceptance. Or, they may say that they have sent you a letter, so that already validates the debt. In that case, you need to dispute their debt validation within the 30 days from the date of receiving the letter. Write a dispute letter explaining your point and request for correct information from the credit company. You can also contact the creditor for the same information. Keep a check on the credit report because Asset will try to enter derogatory remarks in the credit report. If it happens, the credits scores will go down for wrong reasons. Do all the communication in writing to have enough proof in case Asset Acceptance threatens you with a court date.

Submitted by Steg on Sat, 12/09/2006 - 13:27

Steg

( Posts: 390 | Credits: )

asset acceptance llc took my tax refund and never send me a receipt letting me know that had received it and will not send me a receipt for any moneies that I have send them. I was told by one of he employers to keep my own records. When receiving money for a bill or whatever you are to gt a receipt right?

Submitted by on Tue, 01/02/2007 - 06:46

My credit report shows this company with claim of SBC debt on me with a phone number in a totally different area code where I lives by then. I have nothing to do with that number. This was happened some twenty years ago. I contacted SBC, now ATT, they said they have no records at all. So, to put the matter behind me quick, I ask them for the amount they want from me so they can clean up my credit report. A man said I need to wire 50% of the claimed amopunt to a Western Union account in Texas, by the name of Asset Mission, not the asset acceptance llc, the name shown on my credit report. I feel something fishy here! I asked for the proof of their connection and letter of intention to remove it from my credit report upon receiving the wire. The man said "No. You have to trust me!" Asset Acceptance LLC is in Warren, Michigan according to Wikipedia. This wire account is somewhere in Texas. What is the proper way to get them off one's back?

Submitted by on Wed, 01/03/2007 - 18:48

I filed this with the Kansas Attorney General
This week I received a letter from asset acceptance llc. The letter informed me that I had a past due amount of $208.66 from an account with GE Capital Credit Corp. The letter goes on to inform me that they have purchased and now own this debt.

Since the account number or credit was unknown to me I contacted the ???Debt Collector??? listed in the document. I contacted the listed phone number on 9 Jan. 2007. The person told me on the phone that she was an associate of Jory James and she would help me. Below are highlights of the conversation;
?? She asked for the account number with Asset Acceptance LLC, and then asked if these were the last four digits of my social security number. They were correct.
?? I inquired as to what the account was since I am not delinquent on anything. She refused to give me that information, however she did tell me that this was a debt that I had since 1986.
?? She went on to tell me the company had been trying to collect on this debt every since that time. FACT: I have never received a bill on this ???debt??? in the past twenty years.
?? She also said that this debt is included in my credit report as an outstanding debt. FACT: I printed my credit report yesterday (10 Jan. 2007) and there is no debt that is behind in payment or in collections. There also is no debt reference associated with GE Capital Credit Corp. I do have a current debt with GE Money Bank of $822 that is current and all payments have been made.
?? This person stated that I took this credit out at my current address in Kansas in 1986. FACT: In 1986 I was in California and had never been in Kansas in my life. Furthermore the address I live in now was a soybean field in 1986 and the house was not built until 1999.
?? I also told the person on the phone that I had filed for bankruptcy in 1987 and all credit I had at the time was included.

I requested the name of the person that I was talking to and she refused to give me that information. I then requested to speak to her supervisor at which time she hung up. I do not believe that this is a debt that I owe and believe this is some sort of extortion.

Submitted by on Thu, 01/11/2007 - 06:56

Researching asset acceptance llc has led me to this forum. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Late last week, I received a prerecorded voicemail on my work phone from AA informing me to contact Travis Taylor to settle a debt. A day later, I received a letter at my apartment from AA stating "now is a great time to pay off my current balace," with all the pertinent details related to the account, i.e... the bank the credit card is owned by, balance, the entire credit card account number, outstanding balance and settlement amount, incinuating I am responsible for the 12k balance.
First off, this is not my credit card. It is a Visa account under the name First Chicago. Secondly, I only moved to Chicago 4 months ago when my company transferred me. I've never even lived in Illinois before. I haven't even changed my driver's license or vehicle tags yet (but that's another story).
**Question... should I call AA and find out what's up and inform them they have the wrong person, or can I just blow this off? No, I have not yet had the opportunity to check my credit report, but I seriously doubt they have my SSN, thus hampering their ability to file any false claims against me in the first place.

Submitted by on Sun, 01/14/2007 - 15:24

Im also a victim of Asset Acceptance LLC.shady tactics...I just recived a letter from them saying i purchased a computer from gateway..and that i owe them 2,300...they are trying to get a judgment against me through something called "national arbitration forum"...I have no idea what that is...I guess its another one of there shady tactics to extort money from people. anyway i have never bought a computer from gateway..and have no idea what they are talking about...im going to contact gateway first thing monday morning i hope i can find out the address the computer was shipped to and who signed for it...please any advice would be great.

Submitted by on Sat, 03/03/2007 - 22:09

I received a letter from asset acceptance llc stating I owed a $853.00 debt to Ballys. I contacted Asset Acceptance LLC by phone and told them I have never had an account at Ballys. The guy was polite and said that the debt was from 1994. I said 1994... this is 2007 not only do you have the wrong person, this debt is 13 years old, way out of SOL.

He said I should file an ID fraud with the credit agencies. I said why? Nothing is on my credit report in regards to this. He said that its been over 13 years and its been removed. I told him that it was never there to begin with and if it was there and has been removed as he says, it was because of the SOL being expired.

I then wote a letter saying that I disputed the debt and requested that this debt be verified to include original contract amount,date of the contract with ballys, a copy of the contract with my signature agreeing to the debt and proof that SOL has not expired. It's been 3 weeks since I received the delivery confirmation and still no word from Asset Acceptance LLC.

I am telling the truth, i do not have or never had an account at Ballys.

Do you think they gave up? If not what else should I do

Submitted by on Mon, 03/05/2007 - 19:21

I live in Tx and several yrs. ago I had a CC with Providian which was not paid in full and now the account has been sold to Assets who in turn is trying to take me to court on a Civil Suit for a "unsecured" cc. What is the liklihood of that happening?

Submitted by on Wed, 03/14/2007 - 20:36

I'm not sure what you mean by "trying"...

They're either taking you to court, or they aren't.

If they own the debt, then they can take you to court. If the balance is a pretty decent amount, then there's a pretty decent chance they'd sue to collect.

If they are threatening you, then you might try sending a verbal cease and desist letter, stating that they cannot contact you at either work or home, and that all further communications will be done through the mail. This will help cut the crap, but make sure you send it return receipt.

Submitted by Morningstar on Wed, 03/14/2007 - 21:01

Morningstar

( Posts: 1633 | Credits: )

asset acceptance one time garnished my bank account for over a thousand dollars. they persisted and also garnished my salary, for over a year now. for the amount they stated, i should be done, however they are still garnishing. i am afraid to call in fear that they may use this against me.

Submitted by on Fri, 03/16/2007 - 14:55

yes. unfortunately on my credit report i have one judgement. i just don't understand how asset can keep coming after me for more and more money. the credit report states 4200, until 2010...what does this mean? and they have collected much more than this amount.

Submitted by on Fri, 03/16/2007 - 18:30

My wife was a single mother in 1991, and obtained a Visa card through Providian Bank. She had a $2,000 credit limit on the card and never charged more than $1,200 dollars on the card. Because she had co-signed some bank loans for a relative, and that relative defaulted on these loans, she was forced to take out bankruptcy in 1996. That court absolved her of all outstanding debts. Then in 2004, asset acceptance llc started harrassing her to make good on the Visa Card. She agreed to pay $50.00 a month which they took out of her checking accout. About three months ago she received a call from them, and was informed that there was only a balance left of $500.00. They told her if she would pay that amount that it would end her obligation on this card. She sent them two installments of $250.00. She never received a statement or any correspondence what so ever acknowledging that the account was paid in full. Three months passed, then she received a call from one of their representatives informing her that she still owed $12,000 dollars on this account. She told the individual that she had paid that account off, and there is now way she owed them anything, because she only had the one card, and she discontinued that card in 1991. I told her to go see the attorney that had handled her bankruptcy case in 1996 and get copies of that proceeding. She came home with the documents and informed me that the lawyer had informed her that when that bankruptcy court absolved her of all debts, that Visa Card was included in that judgement. My question is this. If they had no legal right to persue her for these money's, would she have a legal right to sue them for falsely and erronously persuing her for the last three years. They also put a black mark on her credit report. Can she legally force them to clear this up? I would appreciate your answers to my questions.

Submitted by on Fri, 03/23/2007 - 05:48

You should have disputed the authorization with the bank. By explaining you authorized a one-time payment and not automatic withdrawals, they might be able to do something.

Submitted by on Fri, 03/23/2007 - 10:09

My story is similar to sugarzee. I recently began receiving letters from asset acceptance llc stating they were attempting to collect on a debt with ITT Financial. They are willing to settle the debt if I pay 50% of the amount they are showing that I owe. I do not have any outstanding debts in collections with ITT Financial or any other party.

If Asset Acceptance LLC is a known for fraudulant business practices, what is being done? Anything?

Submitted by on Fri, 03/23/2007 - 10:30

Tell them to go fuuk themselfs have you ever heard of the statute of limitations in most states there 6 years.

Submitted by on Wed, 03/28/2007 - 18:26

I hired a lawyer and I'm suing those scumbags for violation of fdcpa act.They threatened mine and my familes physical well being over a 7 year old 1100 dollar debt.

Submitted by on Wed, 03/28/2007 - 18:30

I am suing them for violation of the consumer protection act as should everyone they try this shit on. Are you people crazy or what this company is no better than thieves on the street

Submitted by on Wed, 03/28/2007 - 18:53

Hello,
I received a letter from a collection company trying to collect a debt on the behalf of asset acceptance llc.
I recently refinanced my home which I have owned for 3 1/2 years now. The name on the letter is close to mine,
but not completely accurate (the last name is close, but still wrong) and I also noticed the last four digits of the debtors ssn is not the same as mine. After getting to know who asset acceptance is through this forum, I am afraid to even contact them to ask them to take my address out of their system. Should I let it go? It's apparent from the last 4 digits of the ssn this is not me. The debt is not showing up on my credit report. Should I throw it away or notify them?

Submitted by on Sat, 04/07/2007 - 13:48

My life is bad enough as it is, I don't need Asset Acceptance hounding me for every outstanding debt I have. They took me to court once already and I had to disclose every little detail about my life to them as a result. If I can't pay the first debt they won judgement for, why do they continue to keep buying up my old debt and chasing me for payments?

Yes, I did owe the money to my creditors (not them) and they wrote it off long ago. My credit is already shot!

Is there anyway legally to stop them from dragging me back to court over and over?

Geesh, the sheriff's summons server said she spent the whole day delivering to people that are all being sued by Asset Acceptance.

Submitted by on Sun, 04/08/2007 - 15:35

I suggest you NEVER give a debt collector your bank acct, what you can do is take all $$ out from this acct and close it, or just put how much $$ you want them to have and no more, once you give them your acct number, there's nothing you can do about it. Open a new acct and DO NOT GIVE IT OUT, this is the only recourse you have

Submitted by on Thu, 04/12/2007 - 20:09

asset acceptance llc claims that they have two debts on me, one from 1997 and one from 1999. On both accounts they were not able to show me any paperwork on them. They are now garnishing my wages! Is there anything I can do to stop them?

Submitted by on Thu, 05/03/2007 - 14:19

I have been receiving letters since 2003 from these people. I have sent at least 4 letters requesting validation of debt of which I received no response. I ran my credit report 2 weeks ago & they were there listed for 2 debts. One was Providian & the other Wells Fargo totalling $5k. I had already notified Providian back in 2002 that I didn't establish an account with them & I never heard from them again. However, they were on my report as well. I've never had anything from Wells Fargo in my life and they were listed on my report too. I disputed the info from Wells Fargo, Providian and both Asset Acceptance items on my credit report about 2 wks ago & sent validation request letters to all of them certified mail. I rec'd a response from the credit bureau within 5 days stating that Wells Fargo & Providian had deleted their file from my credit report due to non validation. I guess my question is "how in the world if the original creditor can't validate is this company going to do it?" They haven't responded to the letter nor the credit bureau dispute yet. They have about 2 more wks & it will automatically drop. I would like to know if anyone out there has had this kind of dealing with these people. I mean they used to call my house stating that they were calling about an existing case that was about to go to court -- left very harrassing phone calls. I haven't rec'd any calls from them in almost a year now.

Submitted by on Fri, 05/04/2007 - 16:02

I was recently buying a home and decided to check my credit report. I found a negative credit item from Asset Acceptance Corp. They stated that I owed money from a Bank of America account opened in 2000. I have never had an account at this bank. They told me that if I didn't pay the account off immediately, they would charge interest on the dept owed. I stated that I wanted to dispute the account. They noted that requesting documentation would take 6-12 months. I asked if I could dispute the account at a later date if I paid the account off immediately to avoid interest. He stated that I could still dispute the account after payment was made. I called back a few days later after talking to Bank of America and finding out that the account never existed. Asset Acceptance corp noted that I could not dispute the account because by paying I validated the debt. I have hired an attorney but wanted to find out if their actions violate consumer protection laws? Was it a bad idea to give them my credit card number? Should I close my credit card account to avoid future scams?

Submitted by on Fri, 05/04/2007 - 20:23

Once you repay on a debt, it starts to reage. You need to check your States SOL. You could have disputed the charge before payment this is how they catch you. They knew once they rec'd payment that would start the reaging process again.

Submitted by on Sat, 05/05/2007 - 09:21

Hello.. some interesting reading on the forum. great source of info, Quick question, can Asset or other collection agencies charge interest themselve for an account that they purchased form an old credit card account? I if they are charging interest, is that still being used as an "open account", not using the last charged item date? I think the debt is past the SOL, unless the interest keeps the sol running so, even tho the accound is under my wifes maiden name and we have been married for 7 years.. thx

Submitted by on Mon, 05/07/2007 - 21:19

I don't think that keeps it as an open acct. The credit bureaus told me that mine was supposed to drop in 01/2008 for both. I just didn't want to wait that long since they debt was not mine. It is only supposed to stay on there 7 yrs from the last activity (delinquecy) is what the credit bureau told me.

Submitted by on Wed, 05/09/2007 - 13:36