West Asset Management, Inc. is a third party collection agency that purchases junk debts from creditors. It is a subsidiary of West Corporation that provides outsourced communications solutions. West Asset Management, Inc. is based in Georgia. Have a look at the topics below to know about the debtorsâ€™ experience with West Asset Management, Inc.
Debtors' feedback on West Asset Mgmt
Debtors dealing with West Asset Mgmt have talked about their experiences with this CA in our forums. Read through their experiences and get an idea about what it's like dealing with this CA.
- Not validating debts: According to debtors, West Asset Management collection agency may not validate debt and disclose any information on the dues even after repeated requests. They may call you for payments on accounts that have already been disputed with the original creditors.
One consumer asked the CA to provide an accounting of the services provided, but West Asset Mgmt refused to do so repeatedly. Instead, they asked the consumer to prove that he didn't owe the money.
- Suspected scam: Some consumers have received calls from West Asset Mgmt regarding debts they didn't owe. Some of them were current on their bills and others had never taken out the account in question, which makes these consumers suspect West Asset Mgmt may be involved in scams.
One consumer claims that West Asset Management had called her relatives in order to find out who was handling her deceased husband's estate. Neither the consumer nor her deceased husband owed any money to a creditor or collection agency. The consumer was surprised that the West Management was able to get the contact numbers of these relatives. When the consumer tried calling the company, her call was put on hold repeatedly and she couldn't get any answers.
- Offensive messages: Some consumers have complained that West Asset Management calls at odd hours of the day and sends offensive text messages.
- Threatening calls: Consumers have reportedly received threatening calls from West Asset Mgmt concerning past due accounts. The CA has threatened to pull consumers' credit reports and withdraw money from their accounts without authorization.
- Harassing calls and rude behavior: One consumer has reported that West Asset Management harassed him about an account that was being paid through a debt solutions program. The CA claimed that they had received the debt only a few days before and they'd already begun collection procedures.
When the consumer told the CA that he had begun to pay under a program, the CA representative didn't like it and behaved in a rude and unprofessional manner. The representative stated that the consumer should only make payments to the CA, which would have meant the consumer would have been paying the debt twice. The consumer refused to make payments to the CA and they threatened to pull the consumer's credit report and find if the debt had been resolved.
- Calling the wrong person for payment: According to one consumer, West Asset Management collection agency called his number asking for someone else. The CA harassed him repeatedly for someone else's debt and when the consumer asked them to quit calling, the CA hung up on him.
How to deal with West Asset Management
If West Asset Management collection agency harasses you for payments and you're not sure whether you owe the money then ask them to validate the debt. If they can prove that you owe the debt, then check the Statute of Limitations (SOL) in your state. If the SOL has expired, the CA cannot sue you for the debt. If you work out an agreement with the CA and default on that agreement, the SOL will restart.
You can also negotiate a settlement of your debt if you can't pay off the balance in full. If you don't feel you can negotiate with the CA on your own, you should seek help from a debt settlement company who'll negotiate on your behalf.
If the debt has already been repaid, and West Asset Mgmt keeps harassing you for payments, send them a Cease and Desist letter. Let them know that you're well aware of the FDCPA, and they should stop all communication with you because the account has already been paid. You can contact West Asset Management at:
West Asset Management, Inc.
2253 Northwest Pkwy SE
Marietta, GA 30067-8764
Phone: (888) 433-2886
Fax: (770) 618-3742
If West Asset will not stop harassing you, file a complaint with the FTC and your state's Attorney General. You can get contact details of the State Attorney General from a listing available in the website of National Association of Attorneys General.